Railroad Forums 

• Posting Photos Pictures Images Image Files Etc.

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#713660  by 3rdrail

I just wondered if a simpler photo upload to RR.Net would be possible - one that does not require a third site to transfer from. I have a page on Facebook, and at their site, you can load a photo directly from your computer files. Would that be possible here ?

(By the way, if any RR.Net member is on Facebook also, send me a "Friend" request and I'll be happy to ok it - include in the notes that you're from RR.Net. Here's my address -
http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=art+a ... ef=profile)

Thanks !
 #713938  by Otto Vondrak

I find flickr to be the best way to share photos with large groups and internet forums. They also make it easy by providing code to copy and paste to share your photos on forums.

http://www.flickr.com/

-otto-
 #738800  by Otto Vondrak

3rdrail wrote:I just wondered if a simpler photo upload to RR.Net would be possible - one that does not require a third site to transfer from. I have a page on Facebook, and at their site, you can load a photo directly from your computer files. Would that be possible here ?
All you need to do is copy and paste a link from an image on your web server and post it in your message. Add the [img] tag around it, and the photo should display. Obnoxiously large photos will be deleted.
 #739314  by 3rdrail

Thanks, Otto. I'll work on that.
 #742067  by GSC

I can't figure out how to post a profile pic, the one to the right over there >>>

What am I not doing right? Thanks.
 #743410  by GSC

That works okay, I tried that, I was wondering how to copy from My Pictures in my computer.
 #743426  by scottychaos

GSC wrote:That works okay, I tried that, I was wondering how to copy from My Pictures in my computer.
you need your own place to upload photos to the internet..
there are plenty of free services, photobucket and flickr being two of the most popular..
(not all allow direct linking! thats important)

I dont recommend imageshack..they delete your photos after awhile..(I had photos disappear after 6 months to a year)
and actually photobucket is now beginning to remove (or disable) photos after "90 days inactive"..which is lame..
but with the free services, you get what you pay for! ;)

you need to sign up for an account, then upload your photo from "My Pictures in your computer" to your account,
*then* you can turn it into an avatar pic..

Scot
 #855797  by JackRussell

I am trying to attach either a kml or a kmz file to a post (essentially something that works with Google Earth to show items of interest in a subway construction project. kml is basically just XML, kmz is just a compressed kml), but the board says that those extension types aren't allowed. I couldn't even rename it to .txt and upload that - it wouldn't even take that.

Are there any extensions allowed to be uploaded with a post, or are you just keeping it locked down to eliminate spam, viruses, and whatnot?

If that isn't possible, is there somewhere you can recommend that I upload these things to make them available? The site I normally use for photos doesn't seem to be able to deal with kml/kmz either.
 #858985  by gprimr1

Would railroad.net ever consider making an area to have a library of user submitted KMLs?

I know I use Google Earth to scout locations all the time.
 #898614  by Jeff Smith

Mod Note: I have been made aware of the fact that the imageshack (*.us domain) web-site has been hacked and when clicking on photos malware pop-ups are activated. This has happened a number of times in the past few years, but most recently this week. Until further notice, photos posted using imageshack as the host will be removed.

Please note, railroad.net is not responsible for third-party content, i.e. you-tube, photos, links to articles or other web-sites. All I can tell you is have good anti-virus and anti-malware software installed, and click at your own risk. Please report any imageshack hosted photos to me at [email protected]

Safe surfing.