Railroad Forums 

• Front page articles

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1105028  by MEC407

I think it's a real shame that we couldn't put this on the front page of the site in honor of Veterans Day, instead of that frigging drug abuse "article" that's been there for more than a month. Not gonna lie, I'm tired of seeing that every time I visit the site. There are interesting and newsworthy things happening in the railroad industry every single day. It seems bizarre to take one particular topic and highlight it on the front page for over a month, while ignoring topics that arguably are more important, more newsworthy, more interesting, and of greater concern to a wider audience.

From a business standpoint, the front page is the most important page of the entire site because it creates the first impression for new readers (a.k.a. customers). If I was new to RAILROAD.NET and that was the first thing I saw, I doubt I'd stick around to explore the rest of the site.

/rant
 #1105175  by Alloy

I avoid this by making the "View new posts" page my bookmark. So when I click on "Railroad.net," the new posts appear as the first page. Since I come here every few days, I get tired of seeing the same articles, even if they're only there for a week. It's easier to just bypass it entirely.

If I'm looking for a forum-type format like this one, then I probably wouldn't care about the content of the articles one way or the other. It's the content of the messages on the forum that would determine whether I stayed around or not.
 #1105890  by CN9634

The only use I have found from this website is this forum. I don't think I've ever gone to the homepage or for that matter looked at its content.
 #1105892  by charlie6017

I also made the "forum index" page my bookmark when I come here. After reading this, I did go to the home
page and was surprised to see the "Amtrak Drug/Alcohol" thread from OCTOBER 1st still as the main story on
there!!

That makes me ask: "What the Hell is Evan Britton doing and WHY did he even buy this site which was GREAT
at one time??"

I find it deplorable that he couldn't even put SOMETHING on there to honor the past and present Veterans that
serve and have served for our great country!

I am going to be blunt. I REALLY wish that Evan would sell this site to someone (ANYONE) who will put in the
time and has the LOVE of trains/railroading to restore this site to what it once was! He won't even do the work
necessary to combat the spammers in the PROPER way. Instead, Jeff and us moderators CONTINUE to delete spam
posts from the queue!!

I don't mind doing my part as moderator and will continue to do so. However, I want things to change and I hope,
God I HOPE Evan reads this!! And I hope he does the RIGHT thing and sells the site to someone who cares about
RAILROADING more than putting more green in his checking account!!!

Rant Off........

Charlie
 #1109763  by charlie6017

STILL the same front-page articles with the same Amtrak story headlining the front page.

Which was added 50 days ago.

SAD.
 #1109765  by MEC407

Agreed. I feel like it's a slap in the face to the many Amtrak employees who are members of this site.

I understand that a lot of people who are longtime members of the site have simply bookmarked the forum index page and never visit the front page of the site, but anyone visiting the site for the first time is going to see the front page. Honestly if that was the "welcome" I received upon visiting the site for the first time, I don't think I'd have any interest in checking out the other areas... especially if I was a railroad employee. It would give me the impression that RAILROAD.NET had some kind of anti-rail agenda.

Let's face it, would sites like TrainOrders, Railfan.com, or TRAINS.com put something like that on their front page and leave it there for over a month? No. We all know they wouldn't. The old RAILROAD.NET never would've done that either.

I just don't understand the rationale behind it...
 #1109883  by charlie6017

I think I just realized something more. I believe one great reason we as moderators, along with Jeff have to continue
to have to fight spam is because the wonderful owner of this site probably collects money for each unique click his
web sites receive.

For those that don't know, in the web advertising business (Like Evan is in!) a "unique click" can
produce revenue. Here is Wikipedia's version of explanation on this.

Of course Evan is not going discourage hits on this site, spammers or not. That's because he's laughing all the way to
the bank. Friggin' disgusting in my opinion!

This is Evan Britton's website.
http://www.resourcewebs.com

Charlie