Railroad Forums 

• Pre-Amtrak first class travel

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1059429  by dt_rt40

David Benton wrote:slam door stock commuter stock lasted till the 90's in England . i think the main issue with them was that they tended to seperate from the chasis in a simulated crash , and ride up over the carriage in front .
Structual strenght due to the doors may also have been an issue , but the seperation issue was what saw them off , and i think caused preservation outfits to have to do major work to use them on excursions .
Thanks. These slam-door carriages, with a door for each compartment, are definitely what I saw in the UK in the early 1990s. (I'm sad I didn't get to ride in one.) I wondered at the time if the door could be opened when the train was in motion or if it had a safety interlock like an amusement park ride, I'm sure the correct answer is the former!

I'm assuming from responses that such coaches were, as I assumed, much less common in North America. I don't think I've ever seen a US historical drama depict them.
 #1059557  by Jersey_Mike

Forget less common and try unheard of. Slam door stock worked in the UK because they had universal high level platforming.