Railroad Forums 

• Passenger car design: why tiny windows on Amfleet I, etc.?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1045191  by SouthernRailway

I took one of my non-"railroader" friends to National Train Day at Grand Central. He commented, after seeing the 1920s-1950s cars on display (and the new Viewliner diner): "these are so much nicer than so many NJ Transit cars, since these here have much bigger windows! The point of a train in part is to be able to see the landscape; small windows defeat the purpose of a train!"

Indeed- why in the world did Metroliner cars in the '60s, and Amfleet I successors, and so many other rail cars from the 1960s-1990s (Horizon, Comet, etc.) have such tiny windows? What was the thought process that led to that?

Thank goodness the Acela, Viewliner, etc. cars have larger windows, making for a much more pleasant experience.
 #1045326  by DutchRailnut

Cause at the time the juvenal delinquents of cities like Boston, Baltimore, Newark etc use to trow rocks at the windows and cause harm to passengers.
At same time locomotives ran with so called Ghetto grates over windows.
These days Lexan is stronger and more scratch resistant so bigger windows are possible without loosing opacity of windows.
The benefit of the smaller windows was the HVAC had a much easier job to keep cars cool in summer.
currently those small windows are grandfathered , but no longer allowable for newer cars as window has to be at certain dimentions.
To allow for safe passage of a loaded strecher, incase of evacuation of wounded.