Railroad Forums 

• Binghamton NY - New York City NYC Passenger Rail Discussion

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1530551  by ExCon90

Neither did I--I think the route involved NYS&W to Binghamton, thence Scranton to Hoboken or Penn Station. Of possible interest for intermediate points but irrelevant to Syracuse-New York journeys. I'm not sure either Binghamton or Scranton would generate enough traffic to justify the rehabbing that would be necessary.
 #1559328  by urr304

I guess the Syracuse-Binghamton-Scranton-NYC routing thinking came from Greyhound's routing of choice from points in Western NY and beyond coming down I81 to I380 to I80. Their scheduled timing ranges from 4-1/2 hours with only a rest stop to 5:40 with stops in Binghamton and Scranton.

Current Empire Service Syracuse-NYC is fastest at 5:49 on #284, Lake Shore Ltd is carded at 7:00; Maple Leaf at 6:37.
 #1559511  by Ridgefielder

urr304 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:40 pm I guess the Syracuse-Binghamton-Scranton-NYC routing thinking came from Greyhound's routing of choice from points in Western NY and beyond coming down I81 to I380 to I80. Their scheduled timing ranges from 4-1/2 hours with only a rest stop to 5:40 with stops in Binghamton and Scranton.

Current Empire Service Syracuse-NYC is fastest at 5:49 on #284, Lake Shore Ltd is carded at 7:00; Maple Leaf at 6:37.
Back in the day, there was a DL&W service that ran that same route- NYC(Hoboken)-Syracuse via Scranton and Binghamton. Carded at ~6hrs45mins.
 #1559518  by Gilbert B Norman

The service noted by Mr. Ridgefielder was gone by October 1959. To my knowledge, the Pullman originated Hoboken on #15. Owl, at about 1215A, cut at Binghamton, and to the train to Syracuse there. The line went on to Oswego, how long the train went there, who knows?
 #1559609  by electricron

After 40 pages of discussions on this thread initially posted on Wed Oct 20, 2004, and after 16 years, please acknowledge that no passenger trains are running, and as stated on the initial post, the railroad owning the line expressed that they did not want passenger trains on it.
We as railfans can plead, politicalize, and advocate for scheduled passenger train services, but that alone is not enough to make it happen. One would think 40 pages of discussions would lead to something more tangible than talk, but alas that is not the case here.