Railroad Forums 

• Salt Lake City, UT: UTA TRAX

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#741238  by ljeppson

The blunt truth is that UTA is going to have to do a lot to equal the service Bamberger offered 60 years ago in Davis County. Bamberger's operating speeds were actually faster that Frontrunner when you factor in Frontrunner's waits for opposite traffic. Bamberger ran faster and made many more stops - 12 stops or more, getting to Ogden in 1 hour. Moreover, the bus/TRAX interface out of Salt Lake into Davis County just plain stinks. I'm an enthuiastic supporter of TRAX, and I'll give Frontrunner some time, but bus service into Davis County must be greatly improved.
 #755092  by ljeppson

Frontunner North uses a lot of single track with passing sidings - hence the waits. Frontunner South apparently will use much more double track.
 #755148  by electricron

ljeppson wrote:Frontunner North uses a lot of single track with passing sidings - hence the waits. Frontunner South apparently will use much more double track.
Did you take the 5 minutes to watch either video I so kindly provided links to?
 #755192  by ljeppson

Yes, I just watched the SLC to Ogden version. Very entertaining. I noticed you didn't have to wait for opposing traffic, except at stations. Often, particularly at rush hour, we have to wait for opposing traffic where double track coverges to single.

Ljeppson
 #760649  by Arborwayfan

"Shame really that UTA did not come up with a centralized location for all points to come together and meet to make transferring easier for all (UTA, TRAX, Amtrak and Greyhound). If I wanted to go from Layton to the airport it seems I would have to make at least three transfers to do so. Not very smart."

Slchub, based on the picture of a map at the links posted by ljeppson, and the FAQ at the UTA, there will be a new Frontrunner station at North Temple, so that it would just require one transfer (two trains) to get from Layton (or anyplace else on Frontrunner) to the airport. Actually, it looks like every Trax line will still have a transfer to Frontrunner. Of course, they could have changed their mind on that station since they wrote what I saw; I don't live in Salt Lake and only visit there once a year or so.
 #775951  by gravelyfan

Does anyone have a roster of the ex EL/NJT Coaches showing what was the NJT number and what number UTA uses for each car?
 #776141  by ljeppson

This is not the sort of stuff I keep track of, but I do know some people here in SLC, one in particular, who does. I'll ask him.
 #776773  by jerrycranium

Electricron - Where did the video footage come from for the links you provided? Cool, but they did not have DVR systems when we built and tested them. Also, if a locomotive has a DVR system the camera is in one of the windows inside the cab and you would not get that coupler level view.

Go Transit is the only commuter locomotive built at MPI with a DVR system we install. Wonder if it was installed after the units were delivered.

Jerry
 #776784  by electricron

jerrycranium wrote:Electricron - Where did the video footage come from for the links you provided? Cool, but they did not have DVR systems when we built and tested them. Also, if a locomotive has a DVR system the camera is in one of the windows inside the cab and you would not get that coupler level view.
Go Transit is the only commuter locomotive built at MPI with a DVR system we install. Wonder if it was installed after the units were delivered.
Jerry
I found the videos at YouTube, I have no idea how or when they were recorded. According to YouTube, they were uploaded to YouTube on September 29, 2009.....
 #778056  by ljeppson

UTA proposes to rebuild much of the Bamberger southend!!! Of course as a lifetime Bamberger fan I'm very pleased. The 400 West section in SLC would literally rebuild Bamberger in that part of town. Truly amazing!

www.utahtransit.us/interurbans.html