Railroad Forums 

• Denton, Texas - A-Train

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1051445  by Arlington

the Stadler GTW now has an FRA waiver to operate on rails with "traditionally compliant" traffic
Dallas, TX - On Monday, June 4, 2012, Administrator Joseph Szabo of the Federal Railroad
Administration (FRA) in conjunction with the American Public Transportation Association Annual
Rail Conference will formally announce approval of DCTA’s request to operate the Stadler GTW
concurrent with traditional, compliant equipment. This means that for the first time ever; lightweight/
fuel efficient, eco-friendly low-floor vehicles will be permitted to operate in rail corridors
concurrently with traditionally compliant vehicles. The waiver, a first of its kind, will expand
commuter rail options for transportation authorities across the United States.
Source: http://www.dcta.net/images/stories/pdfs ... by_FRA.pdf
 #1051460  by kaitoku

will be permitted to operate in rail corridors concurrently with traditionally compliant vehicles
Concurrently? Does that mean no time separation- i.e. concurrent operation, or just meaning sharing the tracks, but with separate designated windows?
 #1051491  by Arlington

kaitoku wrote:
will be permitted to operate in rail corridors concurrently with traditionally compliant vehicles
Concurrently? Does that mean no time separation- i.e. concurrent operation, or just meaning sharing the tracks, but with separate designated windows?
First, it means DCTA can mix of Budds (traditionally compliant) and the Stadlers (AVT waivered), permitting a larger, mixed fleet until all the Stadlers have been delivered (at which point the Budds go back to DART). Second, it means ops in general are more flexible ( I believe, "Yes" it *technically* means they could mix freight) but as a practical matter they will continue to maintain temporal separation (running freights at night).

See this article from when the applied for the waiver: http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/pas ... aiver.html
the Denton County Transportation Authority says it will seek an Alternative Vehicle Technology (AVT) waiver so that DCTA can operate new Stadler GTW diesel multiple-unit (DMU) trains without temporal (time-of-day) separation from freight trains.
[...] "What we said from very beginning was that we would run the Stadler vehicles during the day and the freight at night therefore it will be temporal separation," [DCTA VP] Leggett said. "The waiver we're applying for will allow us to run the current [ten Budd RDC] vehicles with the [six] Stadler ones. So we won't have to wait until we receive all [eleven] Stadler vehicles to run them"
According to the article, FRA gave NJT similar waivers for its RiverLINE (diesel) and Newark Light Rail (electric LRT) both of which technically enforce temporal separation, but both of which can operate (as I extrapolate) without as-rigid operational rules.
 #1051494  by electricron

This is an important wavier. The Stadler GTW is capable of running on relatively straight city streets in dedicated lanes, and now on shared freight tracks with other trains. The GTW comes in both diesel and electric powered versions.

It still can't run on light rail tracks administered by the FTA, but can on all tracks administered by the FRA. For example, it could run concurrently on both San Diego's Coaster and Sprinter tracks, but not on San Diego's Trolley tracks.
 #1051587  by kaitoku

Thanks for the clarification Arlington. Good to see the FRA becoming more flexible. Ray LaHood one of the better Obama Admin. appointments indeed.
 #1052182  by M&Eman

Does this also apply to the older model GTWs used on the RiverLINE in New Jersey?
 #1052191  by electricron

M&Eman wrote:Does this also apply to the older model GTWs used on the RiverLINE in New Jersey?
Did NJT also ask for the same wavier? I don't think the RiverLine GTWs have the same crash energy management technology installed that the DCTA trains have. I doubt they'll be included under the DCTA wavier. But that doesn't mean they can't qualify under a new NJT wavier request.
 #1059253  by jtbell

What's a reasonable estimate of how long the Budds will continue in service before being replaced completely by the Stadlers?
 #1059666  by electricron

jtbell wrote:What's a reasonable estimate of how long the Budds will continue in service before being replaced completely by the Stadlers?
DCTA is leasing the old RDCs from DART. As soon as the GTWs are all operational, they'll stop leasing RDCs. DCTA is only buying 11 GTWs, and had #10 in service last week. I really don't know the status of all the GTWs, whether any have had problems that need to be corrected before entering service. But if #10 is already in service, it's safe to assume #s 1 thru 9 should be, leaving #11 to finishing testing. The RDCs should be gone by July or August at the latest, assuming no problems arise during testing.
 #1134599  by electricron

jtbell wrote:What's a reasonable estimate of how long the Budds will continue in service before being replaced completely by the Stadlers?
DCTA plans to end their lease of DART RDCs in February 2013. At that time they will be running GTWs exclusively. They had extended their lease of the RDCs a few months at the request of the FRA because they were experiencing shunting problems with single GTW operations. They will have new wheel scrubbers installed by January 2013, and DCTA is hoping to get FRA authorization for single GTW operations. They have been running the GTWs in trains with two GTWs for several months without any loss of shunting.

DCTA is also considering turning two or three 2/6 models of GTWs into 2/8 GTWs by adding a car section. I'm wondering if the additional two axels might be needed for single GTW operations authorization? It's difficult but not impossible to maintain trouble free shunting on freight tracks with just 6 axels on a train.
 #1134607  by Patrick Boylan

NJT's Riverline often runs single cars, 3 trucks 6 axles. Every once in a while my train's slowed or stopped and waited at a crossing, I assumed for signal problems, but rarely. If I had to pay attention to how often I'd say less than once a month.

I can remember far fewer times when the train's stopped at a regular wayside signal that didn't change to a good aspect, so there are apparently methods to handle single car DMU shunting problems. I wonder what's NJT doing that Denton doesn't do?