Railroad Forums 

• “Skyline” Light Rail = Honolulu

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1506571  by lpetrich

Hawaiian Names for Rail Stations: The western stations have been renamed, with the eastern ones now having proposed names. For instance, East Kapolei, on the west end, now has name Kualaka‘i.

Hawaiian language - Wikipedia - that language has a small number of consonants: /p, k, ?, h, n, m, w, l/, where /?/ is the glottal stop, a short pause, usually written as a ', like how "bottle" is pronounced "bo'l" in some English dialects. Thus, "Hawaii" is more properly spelled "Hawai'i", hawai-(pause)-i. The language also has five vowels, /a, e, i, o, u/, vowels that can be short or long, and also several diphthongs, vowel-to-vowel glides. Long vowels are written with a macron or dash over the vowel letter, though I like to write them with a hat: /â, ê, î, ô, û/. Syllables are (consonant)-(vowel) or (vowel) -- no final consonants.

That Hawaiian-names page links to soundfiles for all the names.
 #1540796  by urr304

I see not much has been written here in eight years. IIRC they were discussing this in 1980 when I left Pearl Harbor when I was discharged. They have not gotten further it seems.

In regards, The Bus wasn't that bad, much better than what was in the Tidewater region that I saw or tried to use.
 #1540807  by urr304

I am sorry, I skipped a page or two, so they are going to get the western end operating this year. I can see where they would have difficulties from there to downtown. Just how far are they in constructing that? Still it has taken a long time.
 #1544070  by Jeff Smith

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... ice--60199
Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transit (HART) contractor Hitachi Rail late last month received four new rail cars for the transit agency's future passenger-rail system along Oahu’s south shore.

With the new order, 11 four-car trains out of the agency’s 17 train order are being housed at HART’s rail operations center in Waipahu, Hawaii.
 #1554294  by Pensyfan19

You know those days where it looks like the world is ending when everything you cared about is going down? It appears as if no one is safe from these proposed budget cuts and service reductions. Not even in Hawaii! :(

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... il-project
The Honolulu City Council has begun the process of revoking its financial commitment toward construction of the city’s new rail system, following an earlier decision to withdraw from its part in the public-private partnership that would award the project’s last major construction contract. Honolulu Civil Beat reports the council voted unanimously to withdraw its remaining $144 million of financial report for the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation project in the first of three readings required to pass the bill. The moves reflect what one councilman called an “alarming’ level of disarray in the project, which is now seven years behind schedule.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
 #1554317  by electricron

I may be wrong, but wasn’t much of the local funding for this rail project relying upon hotel, motel, and other tourist based taxes. The 2020 human malware has reduced tourism 80% in just a few weeks, for months on end. So there is no money from outsiders to pay for it, resulting in the city selling this project short. As long as the outside money kept flowing, few locals were concerned about delays causing cost overruns, and many businesses were lined up to eat all that pork they could. Well, the tables have turned when local money is needed to finish the project.
 #1554363  by Gilbert B Norman

Ron likely has a point if the required Local funding for the project is from hotel, restaurant, and entertainment taxes. Any of those revenue sources - Honolulu and world-wide - are currently depressed, COVID WILL end (my guess: an approved VAX during 1Q21, prioritized inoculations during 2&3Q, "all clear" during 4Q); 1Q22 at latest.

There was certainly evidence during the "premature relaxing" of last summer, that the service industries will quickly rebound. Remember well paid "White Collar" (now PJ collar) are working, albeit WFH. The demand for discretionaries, such as travel is "pent up".

It would be a symbol of absolute waste, considering that at least half the intended route has been built and railcars delivered, to simply abandon the project in its entirety. It may be curtailed to the present system from surely other points the planners have in mind, but PHNL to Downtown must move forth.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1554374  by electricron

I did not write or intend to suggest “all” the local funds came from taxes based on tourists, I used the word “much“. I did intend to suggest the 2020 human malware has affected local tax collections and funding resources needed to finish this project. That is probably also true nationally and globally. But this would all be immaterial if this rail construction project had proceeded on time and on budget, it would have been finished before the 2020 human malware raised its ugly head. I think that last thought is very important to remember in the future, the importance of finishing projects on time and on budget is important.

Ever heard or read the line, “Time Is Money”? Here is another excellent example what happens when construction projects are delayed for whatever the reason.
 #1565797  by electricron

Some more very sad news as reported on Mar 12, 2021.
https://www.khon2.com/local-news/honolu ... ntil-2031/
The Honolulu Rail project could cost nearly $11.4 billion and take until 2031 to be open for full-route service. The hike in the estimated price of Rail means HART’s budget gap grew by $1 billion and widened the budget shortfall to about $3 billion. The “Revised Schedule and Estimate at Completion” revealed on Friday ahead of next week’s board meeting cites the bids for the city center segment as a main source of the cost hike, along with other project delays.

Do you remember when folks were complaining about the $4 billion price tag? Imagine what would have happen a decade ago if the new price tag of $11.4 billion was publicized? Would this train had ever gotten pass the study phase? And 3032 is still a decade away, with even more price jumps to occur. :)
 #1606799  by lpetrich

FAQs - Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation
"When will construction of the rail project be finished?" and "What are HART’s plans for moving forward with the Project?"
  • East Kapolei - Aloha Stadium -- 10 miles -- early 2023
  • Aloha Stadium - Middle St. -- 5 miles -- early 2025
  • Middle St. - Civic Center -- "City Center" -- 2031
  • Civic Center - Ala Moana -- ?
These stations:
  • Kualaka'i -- East Kapolei, a few miles east of Pearl Harbor
  • Hâlawa -- Aloha Stadium, just west of Pearl Harbor
  • Kahauiki -- Middle Street, just east of the airport
  • Ka’âkaukukui -- Civic Center
  • Kâlia -- Ala Moana Transit Center
 #1619255  by Jeff Smith

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/03/2 ... utType=amp
Honolulu rail moves step closer to opening as HART expands trial run

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation released new drone video showcasing the Honolulu Rail Transit Project’s latest trial run.

HART has released this new clip showing the fixed rail train moving smoothly from the Hoaeae (West Loch) station along Farrington Highway near the Leoole Street and Leoku Street intersection.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/03/ ... ompletion/
4 rail stations in Oahu’s airport segment headed to completion

Slideshow