Railroad Forums 

• Phoenix, Mesa and Glendale, AZ: Valley Metro Light Rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1513845  by Jeff Smith

KJZZ.org:
Phoenix South Central Light Rail Project Gets $100 Million In Federal Funds

Valley Metro received a major federal investment Tuesday. The money will go toward the South Central Light Rail extension.

The Federal Transit Administration is allocating an initial $100 million to the extension. The project includes 5.5 miles of new rail lines connecting downtown Phoenix to the South Mountain Village area.
 #1518768  by CLamb

I've seen various news stories over the past few years questioning the safety (regarding crime--not operations) of Valley Metro Light Rail. Is there a problem with crime and unruly behavior?
 #1518772  by Backshophoss

Last article on Valley Metro,was about a vote on continuing to build out the light rail system or stop completely.
The Koch Bros sponsored referendum was defeated!
Part of their tactics was to "play up" the spread of crime via mass transit. :( :P
 #1544103  by Jeff Smith

Expansion: https://kjzz.org/content/1585591/valley ... st-phoenix
The 10-mile stretch would connect downtown Phoenix to the park-and-ride at 79th Avenue just off Interstate 10. Using input from residents and the city, Valley Metro will evaluate a Phase I route along Washington Street from downtown west to the state Capitol. It’s expected to be completed by 2024.

The current design shows the Phase II route moving from 19th Avenue and Van Buren Street, along I-17, before connecting with I-10 and ending at 79th Avenue. Before COVID-19, Phase II was expected to be completed by 2030.
 #1641825  by lpetrich

Northwest Extension Phase II | Valley Metro - it opened on January 27 of this year, adding 1.6 miles, bringing the total length to 30 miles. The extension has the first elevated station in the system, a rail-only bridge over I-17, and a 4-story parking garage.

South Central Extension Downtown Hub | Valley Metro - should open next year. From the intersection on the existing line of Central Ave. and Washington St., it runs south to Baseline Rd.

Capitol Extension | Valley Metro - currently planned to go west from Washington & Central in Washington St. to 15th St. and to return in Jefferson St. to that intersection.

I-10 West Extension | Valley Metro - in planning, it will go west in the median of I-10, then depart north of that freeway in 79th St., ending at the Desert Sky Transit Center.

Tempe Streetcar - Wikipedia and Tempe Streetcar | Valley Metro and Tempe streetcar service launches with free rides provided for first year it opened on 2022 May 20.