Railroad Forums 

• Hydrogen is the future!

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1531704  by bostontrainguy

I also thought that hydrogen just might be the answer too but recently I have read that hydrogen just isn't powerful enough for bigger applications and there are the considerations mentioned above. Smaller DMUs are probably the extent at least for now.

Although I found it hard to believe at first, I now think battery power is going to be the future. Initially combined units with diesel for over-the-road trains would work best. But how about the possible of replacing Amtrak's dual-modes with battery units? Station them at Rensselaer and they would probably be ideal for shuttling back and forth to NYP.

Amtrak may want to get involved with the Webtec/BNSF program.
 #1531709  by Pensyfan19

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 am I also thought that hydrogen just might be the answer too but recently I have read that hydrogen just isn't powerful enough for bigger applications and there are the considerations mentioned above. Smaller DMUs are probably the extent at least for now.

Although I found it hard to believe at first, I now think battery power is going to be the future. Initially combined units with diesel for over-the-road trains would work best. But how about the possible of replacing Amtrak's dual-modes with battery units? Station them at Rensselaer and they would probably be ideal for shuttling back and forth to NYP.

Amtrak may want to get involved with the Webtec/BNSF program.
Agreed. Good Point. Although if shorter lines which would use hydrogen-powered DMUs, then that would help the carbon footprint of many of these railroads.
 #1531713  by DutchRailnut

keep in mind a 1 megawatt capable battery is about size of 40 foot shipping container.
Amtrak /Metro North and LIRR are bound by PRII agreement and will need identical units.
the Siemens Charger is 4600 hp or 3.43 times a 40 foot container.
 #1532072  by ConstanceR46

again, nukes are the only way you can 1:1 replace coal/gas plants. not to mention solar invalidates itself because of the amount of heavy metals it needs