Railroad Forums 

• Train To The Plane

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1517928  by Gilbert B Norman

I can report "all went well" with "train to the plane" Salzburg-- EDDM/MUC in both directions on my just completed Overseas "junket".

Arriving, after a shower (best spent €15), I took S-Bahn to Munich East (airport is "WAAAY Out" - 30 klicks). However, to my annoyance, I had to watch three trains for Salzburg come and go, as your ticket is only good on the train you booked. I didn't need a rerun of my '17 experience of being "put off" by "Brunhilde" (imagine, opera fans, "Gotterdamerung" and a DB Conductrix looking the part), only it was me for whom the "Magic Fire" would be playing with the Polizei on hand, when she almost shoved me off at Rosenheim, or halfway to Salzburg. So this year it was time for a little "involuntary railfanning" at Munich East.

I wish that the State operator and the private sector counterparts, mandated by some EU privatization initiative, could come together and sell some kind of "any train" ticket. But if there is. I'm ignorant of such.

The "to the plane" return this past Wednesday was "perfect". The correct train, a Euro City left precisely at 800A arrived at Ost precisely at 938A with a cross-platform to the 944A S-Bahn that arrived MUC precisely 1015A. My flight was scheduled 1130A, but left 1205P. Even if on time, I would still made it, but it was a relief to have that half hour "breathing room".
 #1518339  by jonnhrr

That's Europe for you - scheduling a trip that arrives at 9:38 to connect to a train leaving at 9:44.
In the US you would probably allow at least 20 to 30 min and still be worried about delays and missing your connection.
 #1518374  by ExCon90

... and scheduling both trains at the same platform. Track assignments are normally shown on the printed sheets (yellow paper for departures, white paper for arrivals) which come out twice a year. Mostly, no surprises.
 #1518924  by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 pm Washington DC is dead simple to DCA: Blue or Yellow, transfer at either Rosslyn, Metro Center, L’Enfant or Gallery Place/Chinatown depending on what part of town you come from.
-IAD is harder: Silver Line to Wiehle-Reston East and a bus from there, until the line officially opens. There’s a direct bus from Rosslyn too.
-BWI is easy from Baltimore, just ride the LRT to the end. You could also pick up either the MARC Penn Line or Amtrak for access from either Baltimore or Washington, and from Washington you can take the Green Line to Greenbelt then the B30 bus.
LRT goes to the International Terminal, which then you have to walk all... the... way... around if you're taking Southwest. Done that too many times.

MARC goes to the Amtrak Station where you get a free bus (between the two parking garages) to the airport. I can tell stories around the station, though. Folks sometimes think all trains are Amtrak... and there was one group at BWI station that was confused about missing a train, and only spoke Spanish. I was able to help out with assistance from Google Translate on my phone.
 #1519070  by skm

Suburban Philadelphia (Delaware County) Septa Bus

In an extreme moment of cheapness, I spent $5.00 to travel to the Philly Airport, via the 111 (Septa Chadds Ford and Penn State) and the 108 (69th Street Terminal to Airport). It was at least 3 hours.

Septa Norristown High Speed Line (Norristown to 69th Street Terminal) to Bus Route 108 is also $5.00 (assuming 2.50 base fare x 2)
 #1519172  by R36 Combine Coach

Poor man's route to JFK: E/F to Union Turnpike-Kew Gardens, then Q10. $2.75 MetroCard, $5.50 cash (no free transfer)

Poor route to Teterboro: NJT 161 bus to U.S. Route 46 and Industrial Avenue, $4.50/ $2.05 reduced. (lower cost and more frequent than train, also one seat ride)

YYZ: (2) Bloor line to Kipling and 900 Airport Express bus or (1) north-south line to Lawrence or Lawrence West, then 52A or 952. CAD $3.25. UP Express ranges from CAD $5.30-12.35.

For those coming into Logan, the Silver Line is free inbound and includes transfer to Red Line (with connection to other subways) at South Station. Outbound passengers have the Silver Line as a free transfer at South Station.
 #1519604  by jwhite07

In the past year-ish I've done TTP in both London and Toronto. Went "high class" both times - in London used Heathrow Express to Paddington and in Toronto used UPX to Union. I've never done it any other way in London so can't speak to how onerous the other options might be, although I am aware of them. I will say UPX without a doubt beats the snot out of the old Airport Rocket bus to Kipling and subway to downtown. In both cases it made for a very easy route to the hotels we stayed at, too.

On the Boston end we did consider parking at my work location and doing the subway/Silver Line thing but instead opted for the easy way out - my parents live near the Logan Express bus terminal in Framingham so we left our car with them and had them drop us off and pick us up. Not cheap but easy and fast.

My last visit to San Francisco in 2000 was pre-BART (and pre-MUNI to 4th and King too!) so we ended up doing a shuttle bus to Millbrae, CalTrain to 4th and King, some bus or other to Market Street, and finally MUNI out to where we were staying out near the end of the L line. Not an enjoyable experience with luggage.

Don't recall if anyone has yet mentioned Portland, Oregon and their MAX Red Line to the airport. Very easy and convenient.
 #1519661  by ExCon90

Ever since BART began serving SFO I have used the intra-airport rail shuttle to the BART station, then BART to downtown. I've never done it in rush hours, but there's plenty of room for luggage if the train isn't crowded. With wheels on luggage it's a fairly short walk to most downtown hotels. However, if circumstances require a taxi I would recommend getting off at EMBARCADERO if your hotel is north of Market St., or at MONTGOMERY if it's south of Market, and get a cab in front of the Hyatt at EMBARCADERO or the Palace at MONTGOMERY--I haven't tried it, but it should work. (Wheeled luggage extended my walking range significantly.)
 #1520055  by andegold

Train to plane is our preferred method just about everywhere we go.

JFK - E to Jamaica and then Airtrain. Same time (or faster) from midtown and so much cheaper. If Penn station is convenient for you LIRR is worth the upcharge from the subway but for where I live the E (to Queens Plaza and XFR to R) works better.

LGA - the wife has taken the bus a couple of times. I need to learn the route, I usually take a cab because it's cheap and close.

EWR - NJT and Airtrain. I can't be bothered to learn the busses in NJ.

Rome/FCO - (Fiumicino) we always take the train Termini and then usually walk to a hotel nearby.

Edinburgh - We rented a car. That was a mistake. Next year we will takke the tram downtown and then bus if necessary. Their bus system is fantastic.

Miami - Pretty sure I took their people mover thing all the way to Brickell.

SFO - BART. But how did I get to and from the hotel? I don't remember.

Seattle - Took the light rail and walked to hotel.

DTW - Boy I wish they would get a train to Detroit and/or Ann Arbor. I'd be all over it.
 #1520072  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Gold, when going overseas and more "laden" than I usually am for a 3-4 day "domestic" trip, and where everything is on my back or under the seat, I do use a "White Glove Car Service". Once, the driver asked me, "Mr. Norman, is this the only trip you take each year"?

"No, I take about nine; the three others which I take using air transportation, I take my "poor man's way to O'Hare".

"How's that?"

"Burlington to Union Station, then CTA Blue, $4.25 each way for a Senior".

"That's a lot of time."

"True, but I'm retired; and my time isn't worth a plugged nickel."

I think he was "fishing" for more rides from me.

Now regarding Detroit, there is no jitney, such as Shuttle America, serving Downtown, and of course no rail service. There is only the municipal bus shown in the link, which takes about 45min to Downtown and makes stops. It's a municipal bus, and while "Detroit is coming back", the route offers an "excursion" through areas where "it's yet to come".

http://www.smartbus.org/Schedules/Route ... outeid/261
 #1520423  by STrRedWolf

Pittsburgh's the same way, where the only way to get out to the airport is... by a city bus. Take the 28X from the landside terminal out, with a detour through the Robinson Town Center, before it goes off on the dedicated BRT busway. From there, it's edges the rivers before going into the city proper.

It's a mess.
 #1532006  by exvalley

Rome has a train connection to Termini station. It’s a bit of a walk from the terminal, but not that bad. The Leonardo Express is fastest. The local train is cheapest.

Tokyo Narita has both express and local options.
 #1532084  by ExCon90

I see Burbank hasn't been mentioned; Amtrak and Metrolink both stop there. There's a bit of a walk to the terminal building, but not much longer than you encounter indoors at LAX. If you're staying in Burbank the hotel van will pick you up; there are direct phones in the baggage-claim area. The airport itself is something of a time warp--no jetways, you just walk down the steps to the tarmac, and they only have (and need) one belt, so they get you out of there pretty quickly.
 #1535787  by wigwagfan

Portland, Oregon has the MAX Red Line from PDX to downtown Portland and Beaverton, $2.50 for a two and a half hour ticket. The light rail station is just outside baggage claim and to the right, completely under cover.

One of the few things Portland does better than Seattle, whose plane to train requires a long trek THROUGH the parking garage and a few elevator/escalator transfers along the way. But in Portland, hope you don't need to catch a bus anywhere.