Serious Talk of a Monorail Line in Florida

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

bostontrainguy

Serious Talk of a Monorail Line in Florida

Post by bostontrainguy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 pm

mtuandrew

Re: Serious Talk of a Monorail Line in Florida

Post by mtuandrew » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:29 am

Moderator Note: moved to Florida Commuter Rail.

frequentflyer

Post by frequentflyer » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:45 am

Impressed by the details. Designing the rails to be low impact visually, and low maintenance. Why more cities ( hey Austin,TX.) not look into this is beyond me.

mp15ac

Post by mp15ac » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:22 am

Interesting, but my question is this: Is there enough business for another "rail" line between these two cities, considering that there already is Amtrak (yes, I know not too many people take Amtrak for such a short trip), TriRail, and Virgin Train (BirghtLine).

Maybe if the monorail line is run very close to the shoreline so it isn't duplicating the routes of the other trains.

Stuart
The light at the end of the tunnel may be the headlight of an on-coming train.

andrewjw

Post by andrewjw » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:19 am

frequentflyer wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:45 am
Impressed by the details. Designing the rails to be low impact visually, and low maintenance. Why more cities ( hey Austin,TX.) not look into this is beyond me.
One of the largest issues with systems like these is the vendor lock-in. There is usually no way to contract for repairs or parts replacements with anyone but the original builder and the system may have to be torn down and replaced if they ever want to replace the trains. Compare AirTrain JFK to AirTrain EWR. EWR is going to be torn down at the end of its useful life, whereas it will always be possible to get a train running on 750V third rail, 4' 8.5" (even if they abandoned SelTrac and the aluminum propulsion strips).

frequentflyer

Post by frequentflyer » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:58 pm

Interesting point about the Vendor lock in. Shocking to hear about the EWR Airtrain being torn down after useful life, I thought BBD was the project lead on that one?

andrewjw

Post by andrewjw » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 pm

It is slow, overcrowded, and unreliable. BBD operates it under contract until 2022. They are not involved in the replacement planning, which has not yet selected a mode of transit.

Return to “Florida Commuter Rail: Metrorail, Sunrail, Tri-Rail and Proposals”