Railroad Forums 

• Future Mexican passenger rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1511445  by D.S. Lewith

David Benton wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:55 pm I was surprised they were withdrawn, the trains I rode were full, often having to stand. Fares were low, but not ridiculously so.
Courtesy of the trend towards neoliberal privatization, which stresses maximized profits above all else, and freight was the breadwinner so passenger was culled. Doesn't matter if it was performing fine.
 #1511488  by Gilbert B Norman

In case anyone wishes to "pop over" during their next visit to Cancun, looks like there is a good collection of railroad equipment at this museum:

Railroad Museum
por calle 48 y calle 46, Calle 43 429, Centro, 97000 Mérida, Yuc., Mexico
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7d92UAbxPRw6HuaB6

Oh, and at this moment, Yucatan is only at Level 2:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... isory.html

Finally, allow me an-off topic off-rails observation; even though the Constitutions of Mexico and the US are "boilerplates" of one another (Republic, three independent branches, limited Federal powers), Mexico is clearly a failed state. It could have been us as well; Ben Franklin warned of that very such: "(you got) a Republic - if you can.keep it".
 #1511563  by David Benton

Mr Norman, I'm afraid the rest of the world may have a different opinion of which countries political system is lacking at the moment.
I guess in relation to this thread , which of the 2 countries is likely to have a finished high speed rail system first, I would go for Mexico, if only because it would be more likely to accept a HSR system funded by China , or some other country so inclined to fund/ build.
 #1511592  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Benton, I want to be the last guy to cause Mr. Stephens to "lock her up", so I tread lightly.

Here in "The States", there is simply insufficient political will to have a world class HSR system such as in Western Europe and Asia. There does not appear to be in either AU or NZ. Now that CAHSR is dead, and lets hope that the (roundly) Merced-Bakersfield segment under construction is completed to enable enhanced San Joaquin service - and give BNSF additional capacity to handle freight, the only hope is incremental Corridor improvements (Gateway, Baltimore, New Rochelle flyover, curves at Elizabeth. Frankford Jct), much the same as I have found during my visits to Austria.

By now, there are enough jurisdictions that "have drank the nectar" from Chinese built infrastructure projects to know "they're not on the cheap", and the question is raised if they can pay for 'em. It is simply an invitation for outside political control, and in North America, would be seen as inimical to American interests.
 #1511612  by eolesen

Side note... how much of the older 1950's US rolling stock still survives in Mexico?
 #1511617  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Olesen, I have seen photos at Railpictures of ex-UP/MILW "Pacific--" 10-6 that the MILW sold to NdeM converted to camp cars and even MofW tool shacks.

How did the UP cars end up in MILW hands? When on A-Day, the "City" was done for, the UP owed MILW car-miles, and six 10-6 "Pacific--" were offered up to "pay 'em off". How true? Well do you believe washroom walls? (I was with the MILW on A-Day).
 #1511618  by David Benton

My only ride in an American made Budd sleeper ,was from the Border with El Paso to Mexico City. I had rushed over the border to check out the train , only to find it ready to leave , the conductor said, if you want to get on without a visa , we will Have to hide you in a sleeper. $ 20 USD to Mexico City , no ticket of course. (in those days , you could cross into Mexican towns without a visa , the check came just out of town).
I was to regret it when I had to spend a week in Mexico City trying to remedy my visaless status, it would have been issued at the border in 30 minutes or so .
 #1511623  by eolesen

My interest was in the CNW sleepers and observation car from the 400 which made their way to NdeM... never heard what happened with them.
 #1511630  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Benton, I had like experience December 1970. I simply walked X the Border into Juarez and boarded the Rolls Royce DMU they called an Autovia for Chihuahua, CH.Since it was wide open, I walked into the rear cab nobody bothered me Garetto or Policia Nacional. Walked from the Estacion to the Zocalo and found a hotel right on it (clean and dirt cheap $5US as I recall). People friendly, the Zocoalo all lit up. Next AM, took the same Autovia back to Juarez. This time Generalissimo and two M16 packing soldiers were waiting for me. General spoke English, thank goodness, listened to my story no one had challenged me, and he let me go.

Well, the El Fronterizio is gone; the night train Mr
Benton rode, and back to the travel advisory I linked earlier, the entire State of Chihuahua is Level 3.

You wouldn't catch me there today.
 #1511693  by Gilbert B Norman

Mexico DF - Toluca MX (39 miles; MAS 100mph) is delayed indefinitely:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/train- ... -complete/

In a "failed state" climate that President Obrador took office, there appears to be higher priorities.

Also, a new Mexico City airport has been canceled, the article notes. Spread the pain around.

Mexico, DF-Queretaro, QU appears to be a dream.