Railroad Forums 

• Worlds best train passenger rail stations

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1480464  by mtuandrew

ConstanceR46 wrote:
CarterB wrote:
You've GOTTA be kidding!!!
no, the rats make good, quick snacks when you're waiting for your delayed train
And if you ask nicely, they bring you pizza.

Any travelers have opinions of stations in Asia, South America, Africa, or Australia? We have the usual cathedral-esque suspects down pretty well.
 #1480483  by John_Perkowski

I’ve been in stations in Haifa, Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Of the three, I most prefer the main station in Tel Aviv. Clean, easy to use, and fresh squeezed orange juice at the refreshment stands!
 #1480867  by Ridgefielder

I've never been there, but my Dad told me that the station on the Asian side of Istanbul was something to behold. Was built by the Germans in the 1890's as part of the Berlin-Baghdad Railway.
 #1480870  by ExCon90

I was there once in 1955 and don't remember a whole lot except that the frontage as seen from the ferry was as German as could be; Kaiser Wilhelm's influence was clearly seen. (I wonder what's become of it now that the tunnel under the Bosphorus is in service.) On the European side all signals were standard Deutsche Reichsbahn mechanical semaphores, although supports for the coming electrification were lying on the ground awaiting installation, and I suppose the whole route was eventually resignalled.

As to German stations, all the ones mentioned here are well designed from both a passenger and operational standpoint -- difficult to point out the "best" one.
 #1489376  by matt

London Paddington has a nice atmosphere with its HST high speed trains. Personally I quite like Frant railway station (England). It has a nice environment and a post box on the platform, something I rarely see at railway stations.
Wadhurst is also a lovely station and the vintage footbridge makes it an appealing place to be, although cell phone signal very poor there.