Railroad Forums 

• Last passenger train to a particular city

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1466860  by Anthony

Can anyone out there tell me about the last passenger train to serve the following cities? I just need the name of the train, the name of the railroad that ran it, and the year of its discontinuance.

Cities:
- McAllen, Texas
- North Port – Sarasota – Bradenton, Florida
- Ft Myers, Florida
- Fayetteville, Arkansas
- Santa Rosa, Califorina
- Corpus Christi, Texas
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Midland – Odessa, Texas
- Lubbock, Texas
- Fort Smith, Arkansas
- Gainesville, Florida
- Elmira – Corning, New York
- Monroe, Louisiana
- East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
- Abilene, Texas
- Fort Collins, Colorado
- Pueblo, Colorado
- Williamsport, Pennsylvania
- Bangor, Maine
- Ithaca – Cortland, New York
- Wheeling, West Virginia
- Traverse City, Michigan
- Napa, California
- Jamestown – Dunkirk – Fredonia, New York
- Manhattan, Kansas
- Owensboro, Kentucky
- Waterbury, Connecticut
- Lowell, Massachusetts
- Bay City, Michigan
 #1466863  by The EGE

Lowell (MBTA Commuter Rail) and Waterbury (MNRR Waterbury Branch) have never lost service. Intercity service beyond them ended on June 30, 1967 (unnamed B&M service to Concord, NH) and December 1958 (unnamed New Haven service to Winsted).
 #1466864  by RRspatch

Corpus Christi, Texas had service until the mid 1980's with the Texas Mexican railways "Tex Mex express" that ran between Corpus Christi and Laredo. Not sure what the last date was but the following web site has a picture of the train dated February 1986 -

https://www.american-rails.com/tex-mex.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I seem to remember the train ran less than daily .... perhaps two or three times a week.
 #1466865  by RRspatch

Napa, California of course has the Napa Valley Wine Train. There has also been talk lately of running commuter service on the same line.
 #1466881  by Rockingham Racer

mtuandrew wrote:Lowell has MBTA service, and has had service from Boston continuously since B&M days. Not sure about through service to NH and beyond.
It sounds like the OP wants named trains. If so, the last State of Maine ran thru Lowell in 1960, I think. Whatever the date, I saw it go by Andover MA that night.

Since Bangor, ME is also on his list, this might be the last inter-city train to serve it, as well.

Tom Nelligan can help us here.
 #1466902  by electricron

Per http://www.abilenevisitors.com/Historic ... king-Tours" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The last T&P passenger train left the T&P depot in Abilene Texas in March 1967.
T&P train schedule pdf (1960)
http://streamlinermemories.info/South/T&P60TT.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The T&P Westerner and MP Texas Eagle ran through Abilene daily.
I’m not sure which train was the last.

There have been a few attempts to move either Amtrak’s Sunset Limited or Texas Eagle to the route through Abilene which have never come to fruition.
 #1467071  by jonnhrr

Maine Central ended passenger service in 1960 so that would include Bangor ME
 #1467078  by CHTT1

I'm curious. Why does the OP want the last passenger trains to serve 29 small to medium cities across the country? Writing a book? Just want to know? Making a case for more transit service to smaller cities?
 #1467086  by Anthony

I forgot to mention, I'm looking specifically for the last inter-city passenger service. Commuter rail and excursion services don't count. I'm asking because I want to include a note about the last passenger service to every city on the following list from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... il_service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1469536  by bill613A

Fayetteville and Fort Smith, AK-9/65 the Ft Smith section of the METEOR.

East Stroudsburg, PA & Jamestown, NY- 1/70 the LAKE CITIES'

Ithaca, NY-2/61 The LV MAPLE LEAF

Westfield & Fredonia , NY had service until 4/71

Pueblo, CO 4/71 SF Denver-LaJunta connecting train

Williamsport, PA 4/71 PC (every other day) remnant of the ex-PRR NORTHERN/SOUTHERN EXPRESS

Manhattan, KS 4/71 UP CITY OF KC