Railroad Forums 

• How did railroads handle business/office cars?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1466557  by Benxnance

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on business/office car operation? Did office cars ever venture off home rails, and if so how were they handeled on foreign roads?

I ask because I have collection on brass office cars of various roads, and would like to know how to operate them on my pike.

Thanks!
-Ben
 #1466599  by mtuandrew

Welcome, Ben!

I’m not personally an expert, but it’s worth looking through this thread about private car movements in the Amtrak forum: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=51901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1466604  by Backshophoss

Business car moves off home rails were setup before the move and any fees/charges were paid in advance,tacked on a passenger train
headed for the destination of the move.
Business train moves tend to PR type moves for biggest customers on that RR to a special event like the "Super Bowl" or showing off an new
or improved route along that RR.
RR Business cars are handled by Amtrak,but must be in compliance with the same standards used on private cars hauled on Amtrak trains.
Not sure if Host RR Business cars are charged the same fees for switching/servicing en route.