Railroad Forums 

• Hurricane Irma Updates

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1442979  by John_Perkowski

This is a global thread throughout Railroad.net.

Please post information related to Irma and Florida (for now) RR operations here. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Downgraded from a Global to an ordinary topic.
 #1443022  by Gilbert B Norman

As of a few moments ago, checking Amtrak website for Sunday Sep 10, #53, #91, #97 are all "sold out".

99/44% chance that means annulled.
 #1443025  by mtuandrew

Doubtful we will get news from Cuba, but I expect their lines to be embargoed. I can't find any service disruption notices on the Tren Urbano site https://ati.pr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but would be shocked if it were running.
 #1443079  by EdSchweppe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:As of a few moments ago, checking Amtrak website for Sunday Sep 10, #53, #91, #97 are all "sold out".

99/44% chance that means annulled.
Mr. Norman called it:
Amtrak Suspends Service in Florida
Severe weather expected to impact region

Sept. 6, 2017

6 p.m. ET

Amtrak will temporarily suspend services in Florida due to severe weather impacting the southeast region.

The Silver Star Train 92 and Silver Meteor Train 98 (Miami - New York City) are cancelled for Sept. 9 - 11.

The Silver Star Train 91 (New York City - Miami) will operate from New York City to Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, Sept. 7. The Silver Meteor Train 97 (New York City - Miami) will operate from New York City to Jacksonville, Fla. Trains 91 and 97 are cancelled for Sept. 8 - 10.

The Auto Train 53 (Lorton, Va. - Sanford, Fla.) is cancelled for Saturday, Sept. 9. The Auto Train 52 (Sanford, Fla. - Lorton, Va.) is cancelled on Sept. 10 and 11.

No alternate transportation will be provided.
https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentS ... 1656264747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1443108  by Gilbert B Norman

All I can say to Chaz, Mr. Cowford, Mr. Slchub, Mr. Weaver - even though inland Ocala Mike, and our other colleagues in Florida I overlooked is STAY SAFE.

GBN
 #1443135  by Greg Moore

Looked earlier (probably changed now) Silver Star had 2 seats left for tomorrow.

Honestly, I wonder if Amtrak could and should add say 5-6 coaches to tomorrow's trains somehow (probably too late).

But I know a number of folks who can't/won't fly that would love to get out of ground zero right about now.
 #1443141  by Noel Weaver

Here's the best I can come up with:
Tri-Rail will shut down after the last trains tonight (Thursday, September 7th)
Amtrak last trains out of Miami today north and south inbound as well
CSX Who knows
FEC Last northbounds 202 this afternoon and 222 this evening out of Hialeah and an extra out of Fort Lauderdale to clean things out, all trains will be long.
The FEC will remove the gates from the crossing signals and take other measures after the last trains today. I think the last southbound was 109 this morning but I am not sure about that one.
My advice to all - read but stay out of Florida until this goes away. 185 MPH winds are unusual in hurricanes, we really don't know how serious this can get. I am huckered in for now.
Noel Weaver
 #1443154  by bdawe

Greg Moore wrote:Looked earlier (probably changed now) Silver Star had 2 seats left for tomorrow.

Honestly, I wonder if Amtrak could and should add say 5-6 coaches to tomorrow's trains somehow (probably too late).

But I know a number of folks who can't/won't fly that would love to get out of ground zero right about now.
On twitter they were pointing out that it would have been good publicity for Brightline to have operated some evacuation trains
 #1443156  by tvcigar

Be safe Florida friends. We are preparing for impacts here in North Carolina as well.
 #1443183  by mtuandrew

STrRedWolf wrote:We're waiting to see where it goes afterwards here in Maryland. Stay safe, we'll catch you on the other side.
Ditto in VA. Had to dissuade a friend from visiting Wilmington this weekend, though it's more likely to hurt Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville.

Miamians, check in when you can.
 #1443281  by jcpatten

I would guess that Amtrak's Hieleah yard is not too far above sea level, and therefore subject to storm surge. Hopefully cars have been removed to the north.
 #1443305  by Noel Weaver

Not too far above sea level but a good distance from the sea. It might not do too bad. Incidentally it is most Tri-Rail's yard, most of that property is state owned although Amtrak and CSX still use portions of it as well as Tri-Rail. Both Tri-Rail and Amtrak have shop facilities there as well. Here in Pompano we still have our fingers crossed.
Noel Weaver