Railroad Forums 

• I made a train station alarm app to help regional commuters

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1402350  by rogerscg

As the title states, I wrote an Android application which alerts the user when they are approaching their destination. The main use case for which the app was developed is to act as an alarm for those sleeping on trains, either on their way to work in the morning or their way home in the evening.

The app currently supports the top 8 regional railways in the United States, including railways for New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Boston. More railways will be added to meet demand. Station Master uses your device's GPS location as well as a small station database constructed by myself to determine your current station as well as if you're close enough to your destination for the alarm to be triggered. It's a very simple app, something I believe is in demand as all of the current official commuter apps are outdated and clunky.

Additionally, and most importantly, **the app is free of charge as well as free of advertisements**, which is why I felt it was appropriate to post here. I find it very fulfilling for people to use the applications I've built, so if you find this useful, give it a try and let me know your thoughts on it! The app is currently being built for iOS, so if this version is received well, I'll post again alerting people of the iOS version.

The download link can be found here on the Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ilwayalarm
 #1402352  by Jeff Smith

RAILROAD.NET disclaimer: Any reference obtained from this server to a specific product, process, or service does not constitute or imply an endorsement by SBA or the United States Government of the product, process, or service, or its producer or provider.

As always, caveat emptor.
 #1405542  by lpetrich

rogerscg, is there anything that you are willing to reveal about what you put into that app? Like what search algorithm? Or does Android have some convenience functions for searching for the closest of several points or shapes?

I hope that it includes a disclaimer stating that it is not endorsed by any transit agency.