Railroad Forums 

• Stations Lost to Highways or Streets

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1401493  by bdawe

I guess one important qualification it would be good to add would be whether said station might have performed a useful transportation function today - Ottawa or Albany Union Stations immediate downtown access comes to mind, while Vancouver Great Northern Depot or Seattle Union Station were literally immediately adjacent to stations which had the same or greater psychical connections to potential destinations
 #1401495  by Station Aficionado

Very true. At the risk of dragging my own thread off topic, Richmond replaced Broad St. and Main St. with Staples Mill, way out in the boonies, and accessible to downtown only via cab or private car. Fortunately, both of the old stations survive, and Main St. was restored to passenger use (hopefully to increase in coming years). Limiting major cities to stops far from downtown is generally not a good idea (exceptions must be made for places like Charleston and Savannah) where the mainline totally bypasses downtown).
 #1401510  by AgentSkelly

Something I heard from several old timers was that with Albany Union Station, it felt cramped in the 50s, so when Albany-Rennassaler was built, it was an upgrade despite it being the precursor to Amshack...

And as for Vancouver's Great Northern Depot, yeah it was redundant, but as I understand, it was the result of no one getting along with sharing a station...
 #1401861  by John_Perkowski

I just went looking along the route of my youth, the Union Pacific Kansas Division. What amazed me is how many stations are still out there, even though A-Day was 45 years ago.
 #1401986  by ExCon90

I did basic training at Fort Riley, and I remember some of those stations. Do they seem to be still in use, such as law offices, chambers of commerce, etc.? I have a recollection that most of them were stone.