Railroad Forums 

• North American High Speed Rail Group

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1350351  by Jeff Smith

Nice to see: Post Bulletin
Private rail company seeks to build high-speed rail across U.S.

The private company seeking to build a high-speed rail line from Rochester to the Twin Cities is also vying for the right to build four other corridors, including a proposed line from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

North American High Speed Rail Group spokeswoman Wendy Meadley said the company is competing for the chance to build the L.A. to Vegas rail line. Last week, the L.A. Times reported that officials from XpressWest announced they had partnered with China Railway International USA to finance part of the L.A. to Vegas project. That group is a consortium led by China Railway, which is the People's Republic of China's national railroad. The Chinese group pledged it would provide $100 million in initial capital for the project.

Meadley said despite the announcement, no deal has been finalized. The Minnesota-based rail group is still in the running to build the train. She noted that the cost of the entire project is likely $4 billion to $12 billion.

Meadley declined to name all of the corridors that the group is seeking to build, but said one is "a significant corridor on the East Coast" and another one is in the southern United States. The group is also exploring building a Chicago to Rochester high-speed rail line, along with the Rochester to Twin Cities line.
 #1368843  by jstolberg

Minnesota yields to the private sector.
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... e1b7c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Minnesota Department of Transportation announced Wednesday it would stop work on the Zip Rail project, pending a vote by the Olmsted County Regional Rail Authority on Tuesday. A resolution before the county board would suspend work on the Zip Rail project "for the indefinite future," citing the private-sector efforts. MnDOT also revealed it had approved miscellaneous work permits for the North American High Speed Rail Group, allowing the private company to move ahead with a feasibility study along the proposed high-speed rail corridor.
 #1369189  by Ryand-Smith

Man, between this and the Japanese HSR in Texas, it looks like all the forigen companies with money to burn are all coming over to the US, I wish JR had come to California, it would be nice to not fly over to Japan to see N700 series running up and down the Inland Empire. (Though it would be amazing for a HSR to run from New York to Chicago again, reviving the New York Central route. (or for my personal reasons, the Trans Dominon Express)
 #1369339  by mtuandrew

jstolberg wrote:Minnesota yields to the private sector.
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/ ... e1b7c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll believe it when I see it - more power to them, but I doubt it'll happen. (Didn't think the original Zip Rail would work out either.)

On that note, MN, perhaps now's the time for you to throw money at CP and upgrade their route Northfield - Owatonna - Rochester to Class 3/4. Maybe even the old Dan Patch too, Northfield - Minneapolis, since it's essentially grade-separated.
 #1369431  by kaitoku

What is this firm "North American High Speed Rail Group"? A look at their website just says they are based in Minnesota, but a look at their "leadership" page turns up nothing, no names. Who is/will be backing them financially?

http://nahsr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1390172  by FLRailFan1

I guess since it is in negotiations with the Chinese Railroad, it is a Chinese company. Knowing how safety conscious the Chinese are with pet food, toys and other things, I won't be caught dead in a Chinese train...
 #1390188  by mtuandrew

Careful with the sweeping statements, as both a moderator and a member - companies around the world (including in the U.S.) regularly jeopardize public health in search of a buck. See the case of MM&A, for instance.

Moderator's Note: if anyone hears of land purchases or surveys, or publicly-announced agreements, let us know.