Railroad Forums 

• MARTA Atlanta, GA East Extension (Dekalb/Stonecrest)

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1080597  by Jeff Smith

I thought this was passed over?

http://www.crossroadsnews.com/view/full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... eft_column
DeKalb residents can give input and learn about a new MARTA I-20 East Transit initiative at Public Scoping Meetings next week.

The three meetings on Sept. 10, 11 and 13 will focus on the Locally Preferred Alternative for transit improvements in the I-20 East Corridor, an extension of the existing MARTA rail line from the Indian Creek Station to the Mall at Stonecrest, and new Bus Rapid Transit service along I-20 between downtown Atlanta and Wesley Chapel Road.
http://www.crossroadsnews.com/view/full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... assed-over?
During an Aug. 2 briefing, DeKalb’s deputy chief operating officer, Ted Rhinehart, told the county’s Planning, Economic Development and Public Works Committee that there was a strong consensus for the Clifton Corridor rail project, MARTA’s state of good repair project, the Atlanta Beltline project and a light rail project connecting Midtown to Cumberland Mall. He also predicted that the I-20 East project would be left off the new list.

“If I-20 rail is not on the [final] list, I will not support the referendum,” District 5 Commissioner Lee May said. “If it is included, the referendum will pass; if not, it will not pass.”

May said support for the I-20 project was non-negotiable for him.
 #1080688  by MattW

Just heavily delayed probably. $225,000,000 was to go to this project with the T-SPLOST, however, MARTA can probably get some grants or something from the Federal level assuming there isn't an order from the Governor or someone to cease their plans. Incidentally, I plan to be at Thursday's meeting and I'll report back any new information. But they've heavily updated the I-20 East planning site, not with the final LPA report yet, but the executive summary presents more details than we had before.
 #1082105  by MattW

As promised, I was at the public meeting for I-20 East tonight. It was a good meeting with a LOT of information. One of my main concerns was that the Bankhead station currently restricts the length of trains to 2 cars, and only has provisions for up to 4 cars, however, they said that the station and all of the I-20 East heavy rail component would be able to support at least 6 car trains, though I'm hoping it'll be 8 car trains like the rest of the system can support. They had maps showing a narrowed down alignment plan. Based on that, the Indian Creek station will have to be reconfigured as the map showed the alignment cutting through the center of the existing platform and station. The other HRT stations are about as expected with some at least partly in tunnels under certain highway interchanges. One issue I suggested that is given some thought is the Stonecrest station. Based on the alignment on the maps, the station's tracks would terminate pointing toward the north side of the Mall fronting I-20. If HRT service is ever extended to Rockdale where I live, I feel that the station should simply be turned toward the south side of the mall which would have a potentially easier track routing than going to the north. Overall, it seems like this is a great idea for the area, and I'm really hoping it can get built. In fact, I'm planning on moving away from Atlanta (probably to New York) and frankly, my moving back to Atlanta in 10-15 years is contingent on this project being built.
 #1083016  by Jeff Smith

I can understand the frustration: 18-year wait for rail deemed unacceptable
Frustrated members of the audience wanted to know why rail hasn’t already been extended to the Mall at Stonecrest and balked at projections that look out to 2030.

“We’ve already spent 40 years here trying to get transit and you’re talking 2030?” said Cherry Willis, a second vice president of teh DeKalb NAACP branch. “I hate to tell you how old I am, but 30 years from now I will not be riding rail.”

Transit improvements in the I-20 East Corridor have been in progressive study phases at MARTA for 10 years, according to I-20 Project Manager Janide Sidifall.

The year 2030 was not a construction date, but additional mandatory studies will take at least another 10 years.

“It’s unfortunately a long process but one that we have to go through to get to that ultimate realization,” Sidifall said.

Read more: CrossRoadsNews - 18 year wait for rail deemed unacceptable
 #1083220  by MattW

After seeing the info boards, I was anticipating 10 years till wheels turning, not 10 till start of construction. Well, I guess I'll just have that much longer to enjoy the Long Island Railroad as that's where I'm going, and not coming back until Atlanta has moved forward, and the I-20 east project (I live off the end of it) will be a major factor in deciding whether to return or not.
 #1097917  by jb9152

djlong wrote:I wonder how many studies are required in those 10 years.

The idea of studies taking that long is positively OBSCENE.
Yep, the Federal process is convoluted, somewhat inscrutable, and differs from agency to agency. I say this a lot to friends and colleagues - we're never going back to the moon. And it's not because we lack the will. It's because we'll tie ourselves up in regulatory knots for 30 years just deciding on how to mitigate the noise of the rocket motors. God knows we wouldn't want it to affect the mating habits of the orange splay-tailed whatsis bird.
 #1098060  by amtrakowitz

jb9152 wrote:
djlong wrote:I wonder how many studies are required in those 10 years.

The idea of studies taking that long is positively OBSCENE.
Yep, the Federal process is convoluted, somewhat inscrutable, and differs from agency to agency. I say this a lot to friends and colleagues - we're never going back to the moon. And it's not because we lack the will. It's because we'll tie ourselves up in regulatory knots for 30 years just deciding on how to mitigate the noise of the rocket motors. God knows we wouldn't want it to affect the mating habits of the orange splay-tailed whatsis bird.
Too bad the "thanks" button is absent from these forums. I suspect you'd be getting quite a few of them for this post.
 #1100581  by lpetrich

There's another reason, I think. Trying to avoid mis-spending taxpayers' money and causing a scandal. But the efforts to do so end up producing a lot of complicated bureaucracy, and that somewhat defeats the purpose.
 #1348228  by Jeff Smith

Nothing really new here, but it is being covered: North Atlanta Business Post
Finally, a new bus rapid transit service is proposed along I-20 between the existing Five Points MARTA station in downtown Atlanta and a new transit center at Wesley Chapel Road and a 12-mile extension of the existing heavy rail line from the Indian Creek Station. The rail line would extend south, adjacent to I-285 to serve the Wesley Chapel Road transit center, and then transition east parallel to I-20 to the Mall at Stonecrest in Southeastern DeKalb County.
 #1450475  by Jeff Smith

Bobbing for federal dollars: atlanta.curbed.com

Fair-use:
MARTA eyes major eastern extension of Blue Line to Stonecrest

MARTA is hoping to score federal funding for the extension of the Blue Line eastward from Indian Creek Station to Stonecrest.

According to a report by WABE, the transit agency is compiling information on the expansion to submit to the Federal Transit Administration by the spring.

The extension would be part of a larger effort to bolster transit service along the Interstate 20 corridor. A preliminary map indicates five new stations would be added along the 13-mile route, stretching south from the existing terminus down Interstate 285 before heading OTP along Interstate 20.

New stations would serve Covington Highway at I-285, Wesley Chapel, Panola Road, Lithonia Industrial Boulevard, and the Mall at Stonecrest.
 #1514451  by Jeff Smith

DeKalb commissioners want rail, not bus: ajc.com[/b]
Commissioners voted 4-1-2 to narrowly approve a resolution that says heavy or light rail along Interstate 20 should be included in an upcoming Transit Master Plan. This plan, once approved, will become a guidebook as DeKalb works with MARTA and the ATL Board to expansion mass transportation in the county.

The resolution adds a wrinkle to the Transit Master Plan process, which is in the final stages. Consultants have said that DeKalb could increase its sales tax by 1 percent, but that wouldn’t bring in enough money for a new rail line along Interstate 20. They have pushed a bus rapid transit line instead.
Commissioner Larry Johnson, the resolution sponsor, said he introduced the measure after hearing from constituents who said they wanted MARTA to make good on a 2012 promise to bring rail to south DeKalb. These residents have been paying into the MARTA system for decades through an existing 1-percent sales tax but have not reaped enough benefits, Johnson said.
 #1514452  by Jeff Smith

More: http://thechampionnewspaper.com/news/lo ... st-dekalb/
In April 2012, the MARTA board of directors approved a rail extension from the Indian Creek station to run parallel along I-285 South, continuing east along I-20 to the Stonecrest Mall area.

“I’m in complete agreement that MARTA needs to do the work it’s supposed to do and see where they are in completing this project,” Jester said. “There have been commitments made to southeast DeKalb regarding transit out that way. I’m in complete agreement that this needs to be addressed. I’m concerned that we not say heavy rail and that is what this [resolution] currently says. I can’t support the resolution as is, but I hope we continue to work together on this.”

Heavy rail costs approximately $225 million to $275 million per mile, while light rail costs approximately $75 million per mile, according to MARTA officials.