Railroad Forums 

• AllEarth Rail / Vermont Commuter Rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1515239  by mtuandrew

troffey wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:19 pm I believe it was posted elsewhere on the forum, but Boston Surface Railroad Company shows a date of involuntary dissolution on 6/28/19 http://corp.sec.state.ma.us/CorpWeb/Cor ... RCH_TYPE=1
I didn’t know they had been dissolved. Here’s their discussion topic: https://railroad.net/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=160242
 #1515455  by BandA

BSRC dissolution, perhaps an opportunity for another entity to step in. Looks like they missed two annual filings, plus they were selling securities. And AllEarth already has the rolling stock. Discussion under new england railfan.
 #1515456  by DutchRailnut

AllEarth has nothing, the RDC's they have, do not have PTC equipment and AllEarth has zero operating agreements with any railroad or crews.
 #1515457  by mtuandrew

DutchRailnut wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:06 pm AllEarth has nothing, the RDC's they have, do not have PTC equipment and AllEarth has zero operating agreements with any railroad or crews.
But they have twelve running RDCs, which is more than BSRY ever had!

Depending on the traffic levels, AllEarth has a few routes on which they don’t need PTC. I don’t know if the P&W main is one.
 #1515461  by BandA

What we know about BSRC implied that they had some sort of operating agreements with P&W and Amtrak. They had publicly confirmed agreements with some municipalities. They never said anything about agreements with PanAM or MBTA. MBTA would happily allow private sector passenger rail, right?

But we are getting off topic, the correkkt thread is https://railroad.net/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=160242
 #1515480  by mtuandrew

Here’s an odd outside thought: what about Indiana? They could either replace the Hoosier State at a somewhat lower cost of operation than Amtrak offered, or be operated under contract to NICTD as a low-cost Chicago-Valparaiso commuter service.

These cars would need PTC as Dutch mentioned, at least four anyway. That’s a large expense but one which could be bank-financed upon receipt of a signed contract. Unlike on the Northeast Corridor-adjacent lines we’ve discussed, the cars would only need I-ETMS to operate legally elsewhere.
 #1515515  by DutchRailnut

unfortunately the RDC electrical system is not even stable enough to run cab/atc , pretty sure any PTC system would require such an amount of power stabilisation, it would be bothersome. as for were they would end up yes it could be any of many PTC systems, be it ACSES or I-ETMS
 #1515520  by BandA

Seriously? The RDC has two diesel engines, which drive a transmission for the wheels. So I guess they have alternators like a truck that power the lights. Was the heating electrical or coolant? Then electrical is for lights¸ compressor, water pump for the bathroom and the vacuum tubes in the radio. So LED lighting, retrofit a big alternator to one engine and use it to charge a big battery pack but only when the engine is idle or low power. If the battery gets critically low you would downshift the transmission & charge the battery pack anyway.
 #1515525  by DutchRailnut

The engines have transmission on one side and a 12 Kw DC generator at other end , set up like a giant bus electrical system 74 volt charging with a 65 volt battery every electrical load is fed from battery , compressor single unit ac , overhead blowers lights , controls etc . yes heat is waste heat from engines , one engine feeds floor radiators , other engine feeds overhead heat.
 #1515526  by DutchRailnut

adding another engine would not be option , the weight of additional components besides that engine , like radiators , fans etc would be prohibitive for RDC trucks .