Railroad Forums 

• Coupling / de-coupling Passenger Trains

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1336334  by Desertdweller

Some of the problem might involve union rules. When I worked on the Connecticut Southern, we would haul private cars behind our units from Hartford to Springfield to be added to AMTRAK trains. The reason they were not added at Hartford was because AMTRAK did not have an electrician on duty there.
Apparently, making the HEP connections required a qualified electrician.

Les
 #1336344  by Ocala Mike

I suppose the RDC's could be "dragged" or run under power in regular consists without damaging the prime mover transmission. The LIRR ran into trouble using them to "tow" mail and express cars, which was a no-no.
 #1336435  by mtuandrew

Ocala Mike wrote:I suppose the RDC's could be "dragged" or run under power in regular consists without damaging the prime mover transmission. The LIRR ran into trouble using them to "tow" mail and express cars, which was a no-no.
DutchRailnut wrote:ehh but that is a different subject.
Exactly. The practice of using RDCs to tow regular rolling stock is what prompted Budd to offer the RDC-9 semi-powered car. But Dutch is right, this isn't really applicable to the practice of coupling and uncoupling. However, the VIA J-Train concept is definitely related.
 #1336558  by R36 Combine Coach

TomNelligan wrote:. Pre-Amtrak, consist splits and combinations en route were quite common, especially in later years when previously separate trains to different destinations were combined over part of their route. Amtrak continued the practice on a few routes and still does it with the Lake Shore Limited and Empire Builder Boston and Portland sections respectively.
Also on the Sunset/Texas Eagle at San Antonio.
 #1358588  by jbvb

AFAIK, it was not a warranty issue to tow a Budd RDC in a locomotive-hauled train. At one time or another, I know the B&M, New Haven, CN and CPR did it regularly. There's plenty written about Budd not wanting RDCs to tow un-powered coaches, however lightweight. But nothing about towing.

As of about 1950, the process of merging/separating two passenger trains at a junction point with passengers on board probably took place 50 times a day in New England alone, possibly as many as 100. Only MU equipment managed to do it in 5 min., though. Locomotive-hauled train schedules usually allowed 20 minutes or more.
 #1359089  by decook1110

Anything special about the Carolinian in this regard. Wikipedia lists it as a diesel-electric up to DC then electric from DC to NY?

Amtrak schedule indicates long stops in Raleigh and Richmond VA with both a arrival and departure time (only 10 minute stops though) in DC they only have one time indicated.

Do they change locomotives? Where? How long?
 #1359101  by DutchRailnut

don't think its been done in a while specially since all acs-64's came on line