Railroad Forums 

• Which passenger route has the smoothest/roughest track?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1259300  by electricron

I would assume that recently laid passenger trains routes with no freight, or very little freight, would have the smoothest tracks. Therefore I would suggest DCTA "A-Train" and NCTD "Sprinter" tracks should be relatively smooth. But they only laid 110 lb rail vs typical 130+ lb rail on main line freight tracks, so they may not remain smoother long.
 #1259313  by third rail

A great deal depends on the equipment you are riding. That said, I find the former Burlington route between Chicago and Denver to be quite rough but then it was a rough ride on the DZ pre Amtrak. Last year I rode on conventional lightweight (private ownership) between Chicago and Albany and was surprised at how rough that was. I guess for smooth track I would have to say the former Santa Fe main. Also, I was impressed with the reroute over the former CEI St. Louis - Chicago last year. Boring, but smooth.