Railroad Forums 

• Anyone Want to Start A Commuter Line?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1252520  by DutchRailnut

NH2060 wrote:Did I read that right $0.00 ??

Hm those could make for some nifty living space if done right ;-)
starting bid, not actual price.
 #1252553  by deathtopumpkins

electricron wrote:Per the descriptions, these are the ex-VRE Galley cars the US Army bought a few years ago, then decided not to use.
Excellent example of government waste.
That'd be from the attempt to start running troop trains again, right?

And I agree with NH2060, these would be neat to snag to convert into a really neat microhome!
 #1254316  by mtuandrew

CHTT1 wrote:I hope Metra sees this. They're looking for used gallery cars.
Well, these were Metra (ex-CNW?), which they sold to VRE, which they sold to the US Army. I believe these are non-stainless cars, so they have to be pretty tired by this point! That said, Metra may still throw in a cheap bid and see what they get.

Shame the Fort Lee to Fort A.P. Hill train didn't succeed though.
 #1256210  by 4400Washboard

The VRE gallery cars are one of the nicest RR cars ever built. I'd love to start a commuter RR if I had the $$$$$
 #1256656  by Dreezy

I would totally start a commuter line if I was more than a poor college student. I've always though that my hometown (Louisville) could easily support a fairly busy commuter route to nearby Lexington. All of the infrastructure is already in place, and some of the old L&N stations remain intact, though a few have been taken down. All it would need is some investment to bring the ROW up to speed. Beech Grove is right up the street, too, for the more in depth maintenance. It could be anchored at Louisville's airport, which isn't far from Churchill Downs. I've already thought it over a ton.
 #1260041  by Jeff Smith

In case you don't want to buy the gov't coaches, here's some fro Ozark.

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/det ... muter-Cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;