Railroad Forums 

• New GO Transit Paint Scheme

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1203409  by NH2060

TomNelligan wrote:
Tadman wrote:Am I the only one stumped here? I'm not Canadian, but I hear they're having some serious budget issues.
My thought exactly. Is this a Government of Ontario make-work project for unemployed painters? Otherwise, why would they want to spend a pile of money to repaint a fleet that is hardly old and tattered and in need of repainting for maintenance reasons?

And I'm not a graphic artist or designer, but who decided that an olive green sort of theme is better than the current bright green and white that to me has always suggested the green spaces of the Ontario forests?
To respectfully disagree I've never considered the 1966 GO Transit "green" (or whatever they call it) as a reflection of the scenery of Ontario. If anything this new scheme more accurately represents that with a lighter and darker tone of green with a better balance of symmetry and color; I'm a graphic design student so I'm rather picky about these things :-P

Now had GO stuck with the same tone of green as they have for the past 47 years and simply used that with the new paint patterns 607 has I think it would have still looked better than the paint patterns they came in, but still not quite as good as it is with the two tones of green. Now as for the BiLevels... well... the "hump" shape has never quite won me over so should GO ever order Rotem "Guardian Fleet" coaches or something similar with the new scheme I'll give my review of the rolling stock scheme then ;-)
 #1204907  by MCHammer

Metrolink would have been better off keeping as is. The bright green has absolutely no appeal and does not have an eye appeal. If you really wanted to spend money on a fresh scheme, take a chapter from LA's Metrolink and their new cars.