Railroad Forums 

• Rain pounds Toronto, strands commuters on train

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1198796  by 25Hz

Toronto police and firefighters have rescued some 1,400 people from a commuter train that had become stranded on tracks — with water up to the windows — after a record rainfall pounded the city and slowed the evening commute.
Police helped get people off the stranded train until early Tuesday morning. Police helped get people off the stranded train until early Tuesday morning. (Matt Llewellyn/CBC)

A month's worth of rain fell on Toronto in just a few hours, creating flash flooding and leaving some tracks that GO Trains use covered in water.

A rush-hour train that was bound for Richmond Hill saw water seep onto its lower level and passengers take refuge on its upper deck.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... -rain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty crazy stuff there. As usual no coverage in US.
 #1200129  by oknazevad

This is why we need a dedicated Canadian passenger forum (in addition to VIA), so these things don't get lost among the freight spotter's posts in the Canadian Railfan forum, nor between the kit and kaboodle of the General forum. (just a suggestion, Jeff)
 #1200141  by mtuandrew

oknazevad wrote:This is why we need a dedicated Canadian passenger forum (in addition to VIA), so these things don't get lost among the freight spotter's posts in the Canadian Railfan forum, nor between the kit and kaboodle of the General forum. (just a suggestion, Jeff)
I've also suggested that Jeff create a Metrolinx/GO Transit forum, but that may be a better thought. Canadian Commuter and Canadian Long-Distance (for the rump ONT service and Rocky Mountaineer) would be a good set.
 #1200926  by 25Hz

Throw AMT in there perhaps?

more on topic... I want to know if there is any footage of this train going into the water etc.
 #1201004  by Ken V

There's no video of the early minutes that I'm aware of but, from the news accounts, it would show the water rising up to meet the stopped train rather than the train moving into the water.