Railroad Forums 

• Rochester - Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN - Zip Rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1191540  by jstolberg

The Minnesota Department of Transportation and Olmsted County leaders have gone public with their proposal to build a high speed rail line between Minneapolis/St. Paul and Rochester.

"There will be a new line constructed," Mn/DOT Project Manager Praveena Pidaparthi said, explaining that there is no existing line to run on.
http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1028 ... -Rochester" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rochester, MN has a population of only 108,000. Most high speed rail proposals connect cities with at least 1 million people each.
 #1191564  by sipes23

Isn't the State of Minnesota also working on a St. Paul-Duluth high-speed connection?

If so, this could just be part of a bigger strategy there, in spite of the population. In any case, I'll believe it when I see it.
 #1191662  by CHTT1

Rochester is the home of the Mayo Clinic, with thousands of visitors each year. This stretch could also be the start of a Chicago-Twin Cities HSR.
 #1191719  by mtuandrew

If they do install rail, I hope they take a page from history and name the first two train sets Bluebird and Redbird.

For some time, it has been clear that (K)MSP has been bumping up against its capacity limits as an international airport, even with the addition of a new north-south runway and expansion of its terminals. One of the congestion mitigation proposals involved a mega-airport in Dakota County southeast of the Cities, and another involves a considerably beefed-up airline presence at (K)RST. The proposed high-speed line would link the metro area with both of these proposed solutions. Also, the Mayo Clinic and IBM are both major employers in Olmsted County - their presence and interest in high-speed travel to the Twin Cities might have a lot to do with the durability of this proposal.

Personally, I'll believe it when they start building the right-of-way in earnest.

Sipes123: yes, the Twin Cities to Duluth proposal is called the Northern Lights Express. It is proposed with a 110 mph speed limit.
CHTT1: As for HSR to Chicago, it has been agreed that it will broadly follow the Milwaukee Road trough Red Wing, Winona, La Crosse, Tomah, Wisconsin Dells, and probably Madison to Milwaukee and Chicago.
 #1191871  by ExCon90

CHTT1 wrote:Rochester is the home of the Mayo Clinic, with thousands of visitors each year. This stretch could also be the start of a Chicago-Twin Cities HSR.
To justify a high-speed line, wouldn't they need thousands of visitors a day?