quiet car subway, solution in search of a problem

General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, mtuandrew

Patrick Boylan
Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

quiet car subway, solution in search of a problem

Post by Patrick Boylan » Wed May 01, 2013 11:01 am

I think I had heard a while ago, and just 2 days ago noticed, Philadelphia's Port Authority Transit Corporation has designated the last car to be a quiet car. There's so much ambient noise on every subway I've ridden, I cant' figure what the advantage of a quiet car would be, especially on the underground part.

My opinion also is that if people would just generally follow common courtesy, and common sense, there'd be no need for quiet cars anywhere.

electricron

Re: quiet car subway, solution in search of a problem

Post by electricron » Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Patrick Boylan wrote:My opinion also is that if people would just generally follow common courtesy, and common sense, there'd be no need for quiet cars anywhere.
The problem is that not everyone has common sense, nor has common courtesy. It only takes one to ruin the environment for everyone else in the car.

ExCon90

Post by ExCon90 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:55 pm

And PATCO spends far more time running on the surface than underground (and those trains run pretty quietly outdoors). Hell, if everyone had common sense and common courtesy (why do we call them common when they're so obviously not?) we wouldn't even need people to pick up trash, but that day is not here..

joshg1

Post by joshg1 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 pm

I will skip the examples I experienced, but someone in management sitting on their brain read about quiet cars in a trade magazine, and figured "we ought to do this."

electricron

Post by electricron » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:27 am

I can't believe anyone is complaining about one "quiet" car per train. If I had any say in the matter, there would only be one "noisy" car per train.

Return to “General Discussion - Passenger Rail”