Railroad Forums 

• Houston, TX Transit

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#125924  by Mike Roque

A driver died Tuesday night after his pickup truck was struck by a METRORail train, Local 2 reported. METRO officials said this is the first fatal accident involving the light-rail system since the train began running in November 2003.

Full story:
http://www.click2houston.com/news/4475197/detail.html
 #271194  by Rockingham Racer

We all probably know that Houston is the fourth largest city in the US. No commuter rail. One light rail line, recently completed, which motorists keep driving into on the city streets.

I live in Texas, and frankly, I'm amazed at a state that—while it talks a good line about rail transit—doesn't do much to move the situation forward. One wonders if there's an automakers' lobby quashing any rail-oriented initiatives.

So, we're building TOLL ROADS. Now there's the answer!

(Glad I got that off my chest!)
Last edited by Rockingham Racer on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#285989  by aline1969

I read last week the have approved a corridor for another light rail route and also selected the south east corridor for a high-end bus-way...like pittsburgh/Ottawa...these work well.

#286145  by Rockingham Racer

This is true. However, there's a bit of a quibble about which route it will follow. NIMBYism is at play.

#290717  by Tadman

I can't believe the automaker lobby cares about stopping trolleys now. In the 1950's, when a family had one car that it bought every five years, they stood to gain by destroying mass transit. Now that familys have upwards of two cars, and they change as often as every two years, the automakers have other fish to fry, namely their healthcare and unions. I don't think any transit agency would be worried about GM, Ford, or DCX anymore.

#294064  by CHIP72

Much of Houston's growth was fueled (pardon the pun) by the oil industry (and much of Houston's growth is a post-WWII phenomenon). Oil companies and car manufacturers are pretty much in each others'...um, pockets. I think that in large part explains the situation in Houston. Not coincidentally, I don't think I'd ever want to live in Houston.

#294106  by gt7348b

Actually, Houston's political leadership, elected by its people, decided to invest in HOV lanes in the late '80s or early '90s when they elected Mayro Lanier. With their lack of zoning, which makes it an interesting constrast to the rest of the sunbelt cities, plus their interesing fact that most of Houston is actually in Harris County (most other Sunbelt cities like Dallas or Atlanta have multiple county, let alone municipal, gov'ts to deal with), I'm surprised Houston finally has any type of rail transit at all.

#300684  by atlantis

I agree with rockingham racer about auto lobbyists meddling.
here on Cape Cod, the Cape Cod commission, which claims to be for the preservation of the Cape, has repeatedly fought against restoration of the popular rail service we had in the eighties. While pushing more buses and road widenings. While our tax-funded passenger rail infrastructure(30 million 1980's dollars) continues to go to waste.
Look for the tell-tale signs such as opposing rail for "environmental" reasons, while these same opponents push for an all-bus transportation system, as well as more roads :(
 #300971  by Carmine

Rockingham Racer wrote: One wonders if there's an automakers' lobby quashing any rail-oriented initiatives.
I think you hit the nail on the coffin.

#302630  by modorney

Houston has that great system of underground pedestrian tunnels, downtown. A Transit connection to that system is a natural.

Houston has a few "edge cities", like the Galleria area. Makes for a little more complicated transit plan, but not insurmountable.

By the way, Chip77, don't forget the Oakland A's:

Use rail to baseball games!

THE BASEBALL LIST (so far):
Phillies (SEPTA MFL or RR & BSL, also Amtrak Keystone)
Orioles (MTA-MD LR)
Nationals (WMATA OL)
Yankees (MTA-NYC D or 4, also NJT M&E - ML)
Mets (MTA-NYC 7, also NJT NEC & MTA-NYC 1/2/3)

Oakland - BART (3 lines) and Amtrak's Capitol Corridors
 #547577  by aline1969

Does anyone know if and when another route will be installed? When I was there Sept 2005 they mentioned the city wanted another line.

Now.. enjoy this clip of the dumb people of Houston as they get rammed by the lightrail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2rdGX4 ... re=related
 #547657  by Rockingham Racer

Just yesterday, the Houston City Council gave the go-ahead for FIVE more lines, all of which are supposed to be finished by 2012, which I'll believe when I see it.
 #547747  by aline1969

Really, that is great news for Houston...built by 2012... yes I will believe that when I see it also :-D but man I wish my home city of Boston can just make those kind of decisions to build more lines...lol

I wonder where I can get a copy of the new route proposals.
 #971485  by Disney Guy

The majority of the Houston route is in the median of a boulevard.

Most of the collisions have occurred on that boulevard.

Most of the collisions were caused by motorists trying to turn left across the tracks and beat the train but making the mistake of slowing down at the last minute so the train caught up with them.