Railroad Forums 

• UK HS2 - Preferred route for Phase II selected

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1142464  by lpetrich

HS2 Phase II preferred route selected - Railway Gazette
This second phase builds on the 190 km first stage running from London Euston to Birmingham and a junction with the West Coast Main Line near Lichfield, for which a Hybrid Bill is being prepared for submission to parliament before the end of the year. The second phase takes the route north from Lichfield on an easterly branch towards Leeds and a western branch towards Manchester, adding a further 338 route-km. The selected route options will now be part of a broad consultation scheme which will start later this year.
I've found detailed maps of the proposed routes:
HS2 phase two initial preferred route plan and profile maps - Detailed guidance - GOV.UK
HS2 phase one revised line of route maps - Publications - Inside Government - GOV.UK
I've found an overview at Homepage | HS2 Its map has Phase I only, however.

Phase I will go from London Euston to a junction east of Birmingham, where it will split into a line into Birmingham itself and a connection to the West Coast Main Line.

Phase II will have two branches, one to Manchester and one to Leeds. The Manchester one continues onward from the aforementioned WCML connection to a junction near that city. It then branches to that city itself and to another WCML connection. The Leeds one continues from the Birmingham junction eastward then northward, past Derby, Nottingham, and Sheffield, to a junction near Leeds. It then branches into that city and also to a connection with the East Coast Main Line.

High Speed 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has the nicest overview map I've found, including both parts.

It mentions a possible extension of the Leeds line to Newcastle and the Manchester line to Edinburgh and Glasgow.

They are expecting to complete Phase I in 2026 and Phase II in 2032, though this schedule may get accelerated.