Vacation Guilt (vacation travel by train)

General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, mtuandrew

Gilbert B Norman

Vacation Guilt (vacation travel by train)

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:45 pm

This New York Times coulmnist holds you should if you "fly and rent". Rather he suggests take trains - albeit with one exception - the Corridor (too expensive):

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/24/opin ... aming.html

Fair Use:
.You can also substitute cleaner forms of travel, in whole or in part, for airplanes and road trips. Like a good New Yorker, I gave up my car years ago and now visit family in Boston and Washington by bus, not by plane. The train over those routes is too expensive for my taste, but I did take a very pleasant, T.S.A.-free Amtrak trip from Miami to Orlando earlier this year for $33. It is true that a trip to Paris will require air travel, assuming no crew offers you a ride on a racing yacht. But from there you don’t need to flit around Europe on discount airlines. Take trains. They aren’t just better for the environment, they are also more fun and interesting. You may not get to see as many places in as many days, but dashing from city to city is usually just frenzied bucket-list checking, anyway

electricron

Re: Vacation Guilt

Post by electricron » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:08 pm

There are two type of vacations, (1) the experience of the trip and (2) the experience of a place.
Traveling by train or by cruise ship are good choices for (1) because you can see the scenery as you ride by. Traveling by planes or by anther very fast mode of transit are good choices for (2) because you should have more time there.

David Benton

Post by David Benton » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:37 pm

As a Greenie , I feel no guilt using regular passenger trains and commuter services. On the contrary, my thinking its it is making a public transport service more viable by using it , usually in off peak times when the train/bus is not full anyway.
Flying , yes well, I buy cheap tickets to take the kids to see their grandparents , or to just give them a travel experience, trips I probably wouldn't take on my own. When its a case of $ 100 for plane tickets, or $ 400 to take the train , the plane wins.
As to (co) owning 1 motorhome( RV) , 2 trucks , a tractor and a digger, 5 cars( all oldish) , 4 motorbikes( in storage) - Guilty as charged. All for business/ farm purposes you understand , your honor( and the IRS).
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.

David Benton

Post by David Benton » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:44 am

A European perspective from the BBC.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019090 ... for-trains

eolesen

Post by eolesen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:04 am

Burning 8 gallons of fuel per hour in our motorhome towing our Jeep does require quite a bit of green...

Arguably, though, it's still less impact in terms of CO2 and energy used up by flying, staying in hotels, and renting an auto or using Uber. And taking the train or bus usually isn't an option where we choose to travel.

mtuandrew

Post by mtuandrew » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:45 am

Yikes, Mr. Olesen, I’d be investing in my own biodiesel plant and hitting up every McDonalds I could find for used fryer grease. Well, I’d actually invest in a small trailer or pop-up camper myself, or rent a big RV in the desired area, but that isn’t everyone’s cup of gasoline :P

Would be interesting to do the math on RV life vs hotel stays (in terms of money, carbon emissions & energy consumption, and time), but that’s not the purpose of this thread. What could be intriguing is to look into latent demand for a nationwide Auto Train network operated as second sections of existing Amtrak long-distance trains.

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:19 am

mtuandrew wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:45 am
What could be intriguing is to look into latent demand for a nationwide Auto Train network operated as second sections of existing Amtrak long-distance trains.
Mr. Stephens; I've said it before and I'll say it again. Here is my list of potential "Auto Train Service" routes:

Galesburg-Irondale (Denver)
Galesburg-La Junta
Albuquerque-Victorville

electricron

Post by electricron » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:19 am
Mr. Stephens; I've said it before and I'll say it again. Here is my list of potential "Auto Train Service" routes:
Galesburg-Irondale (Denver)
Galesburg-La Junta
Albuquerque-Victorville
All workable choices if the elapse time to run the route is around 17 hours or less. So, what do the existing trains take over those routes?
Galesburg to Denver around 16.5 hours; okay
Galesburg to La Junta around 16.5 hours; okay
Albuquerque to Victorville around 13 hours; okay. Why stop at Victorville, it could easily be extended to San Bernardino, Riverside, or Fullerton?

Never-the-less, are there that many snow birds and vacationers living in Chicago and Los Angeles areas wishing to see Raton Pass and Albuquerque? It gets very cold there during the winter season.

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 am

electricron wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 am
Why stop at Victorville, it could easily be extended to San Bernardino, Riverside, or Fullerton?
Why lug the autos over the hill?
Also more convenient if one's destination is "The Meadows"

David Benton

Post by David Benton » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 am

eolesen wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:04 am
Burning 8 gallons of fuel per hour in our motorhome towing our Jeep does require quite a bit of green...

Arguably, though, it's still less impact in terms of CO2 and energy used up by flying, staying in hotels, and renting an auto or using Uber. And taking the train or bus usually isn't an option where we choose to travel.
Here in NZ, that would cost you $35 USD an hour. Luckily,our dollar bills are all different colors, so its more interesting as you count the wad out. :wink: .
One thing I like about motorhoming , the ability to park somewhere remote, and leave nothing but tire marks. I used to love that about cycling/hiking and camping too though.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Return to “General Discussion - Passenger Rail”