Railroad Forums 

• Weird Track Names

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#946075  by RearOfSignal

Post weird, quirky, funny track names that you've come across. I'll start...

Stamford Yard, CT, Metro-North Railroad: "Between the Wash" Not so surprisingly, located between car wash track and loop track.
 #946082  by DutchRailnut

the straight loop track in freight yard (used for passenger)
now the passenger yard is used only for non- revenue freight , like wire train.
 #946145  by BR&P

Two of my favorites, from years ago:

Warren PA, on the Allegheny Railroad - "The Rickety Track" (even after it had been improved)

Paper mill, Deferiet NY (I think?) "The Useless Track". (company honchos decided where to build a new track without consulting the railroad guys)
 #946549  by Cowford

The Portland Terminal running track down to the ship yard in S Portland was called the "Burma Road". No idea on origin.
 #947656  by ExCon90

In the 1960s there was a short track in the PRR freight yard at Erie, PA called "Jake's Horse." Nobody seemed to know why.
 #948763  by MikeEspee

WSOR in Madison, WI has a "Long John"

In EJ&E's Kirk Yard there's a "Dixie" - Its in the 'South' Yard...

CSX in Indianapolis on the Shelbybille Secondary has a "Straight Track" which coincidentally is a curved leg of a wye - the other leg is the "New Wye" even though it's been there for 30 years

I'll come up with some more...
 #948807  by trapper

Both on the former Lehigh Valley:

Perth Amboy, N.J. - the "fiddle"

Newark, N.J. ( Oak Island yd ) - the "Hamburg lead'
 #949293  by jlr3266

The former Yard A in Sunnyside had the Big Middle (located in the middle!) and the Big Stink, which had gondolas for waste from the markets. You do the math on that one.
 #950510  by alchemist

The stink track handled tank cars for a plant that made CN disinfectant cleaner. It was based on coal tar - pretty stinky!

Advertising copy: "You can't spell clean without CN."

BTW, we should mention that Yard A was a Long Island Rail Road yard adjacent to PRR's Sunnyside Yard. Some might not know that.
 #950513  by amtrakhogger

How about the "Plug" track on the Reading (Septa) at Lansdale, now renamed #1 Doylestown Main track between Dale and Land.
 #950798  by ExCon90

amtrakhogger wrote:How about the "Plug" track on the Reading (Septa) at Lansdale, now renamed #1 Doylestown Main track between Dale and Land.
By any chance, was there a water plug on that track in steam days?
 #950823  by Gadfly

NS
Rip Track, Charlotte, NC- Repair track.
Rabbit Track--all numbered in the computer as RY 1 (for Rabbit Yard) thru RY 12 (Take 'em north, cross over, shove back down 12 Rabbit).
Deadline Lead (DLL)

Coach Yard (obvious)

Setoff track
Switching Lead

Cab track
 #950890  by DutchRailnut

just about any yard has a RIP =Repair in Place track.
 #950891  by amtrakhogger

ExCon90 wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:How about the "Plug" track on the Reading (Septa) at Lansdale, now renamed #1 Doylestown Main track between Dale and Land.
By any chance, was there a water plug on that track in steam days?
Not to my knowledge, but you might be right. However the name stuck around long after the end of steam on the Reading.
 #951052  by Gadfly

DutchRailnut wrote:just about any yard has a RIP =Repair in Place track.

Obviously............ I never knew why the yard was referred to as the "Rabbit Yard"----full of rabbits, I guess. Eleven and Twelve rabbit was also refered to as the "pig tracks" because it was where most of the pig trains and hot shots were built in Charlotte to go out on 2nd trick. Busiest shift of all.

GF