Railroad Forums 

• Difference Between Switchperson/Brakeperson

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#784780  by Great Northern

I was just wondering what the difference was between the two, and was also wondering, do you get to pick which one you want to do, and how long would it take for me to stay at the job until i became a conductor?
and with both of those jobs, are those jobs in which you only stay throughout the railyard and industrial areas throughout the area?
 #784895  by GN 599

Generally speaking a brakeman works the road and basicly helps the conductor make pick ups and set outs on the road. A switchman works the yard, performing the duties of switching out trains, building trains and pulling and spotting industries that are in the general vicinity of the yard. Class 1 railroads train people to be Conductor qualified from day 1. I think the moderator should move this one to the operations forum....
 #789435  by 2nd trick op

Well, while we're on the subject, lert's not forget to differentiate between "switchmen/switchwomen?" and "switch tenders".

While I've seen the media use the former term misused by the media to describe everything from conductors and what used to be called brakemen, to block operators operating interlocking plants as part of their duties, the term "switch tender" almost always referred to someone in charge of a group of hand operated switches at a point where slower speeds and operation by "yard rules" made a full interlocking plant unnecessary.

Chicago's Forest Park junction probalbly became the best known example of this in the latter days of the "interlocking tower era", but Edwrd Derouin's recent book "The Pennsy in Chicago" cites several other examples. For many years, if memory serves me correctly, only one half of Indianapolis Union Station was interlocked; switch tenders ran the other half until the end of passnger operations.

The Federally-designed classification system for jobs listed in employment datatbase lists all these jobs as "Railroad Brake, Switch and Signal Operators". As anyone who's searched them recently can tell you, pickings have been mighty slim of late.
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #789490  by justalurker66

A switch tender is still employed on the Metra Electric Line at Roosevelt Rd. (Chicago, Illinois).

This is at the north end of the Roosevelt Rd Yard where four main lines approach from the south plus the yard lead and three tracks to the north leading to Van Buren St Station. The switches elsewhere on the line are remote operated but Roosevelt Rd is still a manual switch tender.
 #834897  by SooLineRob

aanssell25 wrote:Brakeperson-a member of a train crew or other railroad employee who operates, inspects, or repairs brakes

Switchperson - somebody who switches trains to the proper tracks at a rail junction
FAIL.

FAIL AGAIN.
 #836873  by Jtgshu

benedict123 wrote:I know about Switchperson means Somebody who controls switching of trains or somebody who switches trains to the proper tracks at a rail junction. But, I have no specific answer for Breakperson.
Not really - an operator or dispatcher generally controls switches (remotely) at a junction. If its an out of the way location, with no remote control, the train crew would probably take care of the switches.

A switchman is usually in a yard or an area where there are a series of hand throw switches that are not controlled by the dispatcher/operator. Also, they generally operate under the yardmasters orders as to which switches to throw, and usually work in an area where it would be quicker and easier for him to throw the switches than the train crew to do it.

A brakeman usually is part of a crew, and helps out the conductor with making up/taking trains apart, lacing up air hoses, getting switches, applying/releasing handbrakes etc. It makes life much easier on the cond and eng when there is a brakeman and its even better if they are a competitent brakeman!

In passenger work, the (rear) brakeman often gets the doors at station stops, and takes care of getting the train ready for passengers. Also, sometimes in passenger servcie there are additional "head" brakemen, which are also called ticket collectors. Their main priority is to collect tickets and revenue, but they are also offically brakeman and can be called on to do brakeman duties, if the conductor tells them too.

Each RR has different quirks and various names for these positions and their duties, but thats it pretty much in a nutshell...
 #841795  by gp80mac

Jtgshu wrote:
A brakeman usually is part of a crew, and helps out the conductor with making up/taking trains apart, lacing up air hoses, getting switches, applying/releasing handbrakes etc. It makes life much easier on the cond and eng when there is a brakeman and its even better if they are a competitent brakeman!

Each RR has different quirks and various names for these positions and their duties, but thats it pretty much in a nutshell...
A shame RRs hardly use brakemen anymore. I don't know how they think all these new RRers are going to learn the local/industrial jobs without braking them first...

My favorite term is OOPS, which stands for "Out of Position Switchman". That's for guys always standing at the wrong switch, or too far away from the cut or handbrakes... sometimes intentional.