Railroad Forums 

• Can a train be mis-routed through a junction

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#749467  by scharnhorst

Conrail put a high wide detector on there Buffalo, NY to Boston, MA Line in DeWitt Yard in Syracuse, NY to prevent Stack trains from being accdentley sent East to Boston The reason for this was due to to many low bridges and other obstructions along the route.
 #752201  by 2nd trick op

To clarify one point, if a misroute is aligned over a diverging route, then the signals would only display an aspect authorizing speeds deemed safe for that alignment.

About fifteen yers ago, I spent some time on the NEC, mostly at UNION Tower in Rahway. One of the switch levers contained an etched reference to a leveman who'd mis-aligned that switch in a memorable mis-route some time previously. As fate would have it, the initials of the unfortunate individual matched my own, and I seldom noticed that lever without checking things out one more time.
 #752631  by wigwagfan

RDGTRANSMUSEUM wrote:it dose happen,why the interest?
Because I've never seen it happen, but was curious to know if/when/how often it happens. And one day I was sitting at such a junction and wondered.

It's no different than looking at a work crew and wondering why they do what they do; or a particular locomotive I've never seen before and wanting to know the model, specs, heritage, etc. Or a particular freight car and wondering what's inside it and where it's going.
 #752883  by ExCon90

2nd trick op wrote:To clarify one point, if a misroute is aligned over a diverging route, then the signals would only display an aspect authorizing speeds deemed safe for that alignment.

About fifteen yers ago, I spent some time on the NEC, mostly at UNION Tower in Rahway. One of the switch levers contained an etched reference to a leveman who'd mis-aligned that switch in a memorable mis-route some time previously. As fate would have it, the initials of the unfortunate individual matched my own, and I seldom noticed that lever without checking things out one more time.
Don't leave us hanging -- what made the misroute memorable? Did the guy route the Broadway to South Amboy, or what? (I assume it was long enough ago that the truth may now be told.)