Railroad Forums 

• Shipping cigarettes by rail

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#733888  by Tracer

I remember seeing a flat car (it may have been a spine car) with bundles that were about 4x4x4 that said malboro on them at White River Junction Vt. a few years ago. This the only time i've seen this type of cargo on a flat car and i was wondering is this a common way they ship cigarettes?
 #733921  by Gadfly

Triker wrote:I remember seeing a flat car (it may have been a spine car) with bundles that were about 4x4x4 that said malboro on them at White River Junction Vt. a few years ago. This the only time i've seen this type of cargo on a flat car and i was wondering is this a common way they ship cigarettes?
Yikes! The special agents better be riding THAT! :wink:

GF
 #733922  by Cowford

Cigarettes are extremely theft-prone due to their value and ease of black market distribution. They'd NEVER move in individual pallets on flats. To be honest, I'm not sure if smokes even move via intermodal... but I can almost guarantee that Philip Morris ain't advertising on shipping containers as to what's inside.
 #734171  by QB 52.32

IIRC, there used to be moves in boxcars and intermodal but with deregulation I think a lot of that business was let go for loss (theft), damage (IIRC there was a lot of problems with moisture damage claims), and, in some markets, the nature of the short haul and how revenues were divided between carriers (like the furniture business also coming out of the mid-southern-Atlantic states). Cigarettes probably do move via intermodal for export or domestic markets, but, IIRC, were not an accepted item moving on Freight-All-Kinds rates in rate circulars...due to the loss & damage issues....but, perhaps covered under contract reducing/eliminating carrier liability, or with special rates if the rail carrier(s) is liable.
 #734181  by CarterB

What you likely saw were pallets of KDF Marlboro cartons coming from a paper company.
 #734388  by Tracer

CarterB wrote:What you likely saw were pallets of KDF Marlboro cartons coming from a paper company.
Yeah that was probably what i saw. They kinda looked like bundled sheetrock.
Last edited by Tracer on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #735065  by 2nd trick op

Back in the late summer of 1974, I was working in the Central Dispatch office of Spring City, PA-based Jones Motor. We didn't have the operating authority to serve the Philip Morris plant at Richmond, but a couple of R J Reynolds facilities in North Carolina were good customers. The product invariably had to be shipped to bonded warehouses where the tax stamps for the state in question could be applied.

One Friday, a solid load of "smokes" left our Roanoke, VA terminal (after forwarding from Greensboro, NC) for our terminal at Lebanon, PA, from which it would have been relayed to its destination. Most of our drivers using I-81 made a rest stop at Stephens City, VA, and this man was no exception. Unfortunately, when he pulled up at the town's major intersection, he was met by armed men, blindfolded, and stashed in a waiting auto.

About six hours later, the driver was released unharmed on a city steet in Brooklyn and the empty trailer was loacted nearby. The release, and a subsequent phone call from the driver, came in before the guys at "Central" noticed that the load was overdue. A policy of regular call-ins and diguising the identity of high-value shipments when addressing them over the "long lines" was quickly implemented, but it was a case of locking the barn door after the horse had fled.

The perpetrators were later identified, arrested and convicted. Popular folklore is that corrupted dispatchers sometimes "finger" loads of easily-disposed-of freight, but the issue was never raised. It's more likely that the carrier and trailer number could be discerned by anyone with a view of the loading dock.

My personal view is that current rail operating practices would probably make loads like that one much harder to hijack if handled by a technology such as RoadRailer, and picked up, assembled and delivered at secure facilities.
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #735155  by 10more years

I want to think that CSX used to ship cigarettes out of the Philip Morris plant in Richmond. Not sure if they still do or not. I remember a info packet that came out one time that listed commodities and their value. A carload of cigarettes was close to top of the list. High value, low weight.