Railroad Forums 

• Binders for employee timetables

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#689117  by NV290

Otto Vondrak wrote:Are we having a discussion about something no one here can change?
No. The discussion is about locating a source to make the change. I find it hard to believe that 7 ring binders only exsist in one ring size. I have a call into a custom binder maker. The person i spoke to said it can definatley be done on a custom order basis. She is trying to see if they might have some leftovers from another order so this will not end up costing a fortune. I was just hoping that someone out there may have solved it some other way.
 #689118  by NV290

LIRailfan79 wrote:
NV290 wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:Just imagine if you were working for Amtrak out of Rensselaer, you would have to carry rulebooks and timetables for six different outfits, Amtrak/NORAC, CSX, Metro-North, CP/Consolidated Code, Vermont Railway and CN/Canada Rules.
I do have to carry to up to that many mauals. CSX, Metro North, NORAC, GCOR, ST, CP Rail, NECR and Amtrak. So what is your point? The idea of being able to make more room in ones grip is not a new idea. If i can shave an inch off of a binder, thats one more inch of room to store other essential items. The question i posted is perfectly logical to anybody who carries alot of books and does not want to have multiple bags or a giant bag. I work some runs where i have to carry an entire seperate bag for all the rule books i need to carry.

wow, you have to carry 8 different manuals? what Railroad are you employed by? what runs do you do?
While some employees choose to carry all those manuals, all the time. I carry the manuals i need for the job i am called to work. On most days, i am carrying NORAC, GCOR, CSX and Amtrak and MBCR. I work for CSX.
 #689136  by LIRailfan79

NV290 wrote:
LIRailfan79 wrote: wow, you have to carry 8 different manuals? what Railroad are you employed by? what runs do you do?
While some employees choose to carry all those manuals, all the time. I carry the manuals i need for the job i am called to work. On most days, i am carrying NORAC, GCOR, CSX and Amtrak and MBCR. I work for CSX.

i see, how often do you run over metro-north territory? where are you based out of?
 #689144  by NV290

LIRailfan79 wrote:
NV290 wrote:
LIRailfan79 wrote: wow, you have to carry 8 different manuals? what Railroad are you employed by? what runs do you do?

i see, how often do you run over metro-north territory? where are you based out of?
Usually Worcester, but i work Readville, Selkirk, Framingham, wherever. I don't come on Metro North that often, but a few times a month.
 #689148  by LIRailfan79

i see, so then you are required to carry the metro-north operations manual and keep it up to date in the event you need to run on their territory?
 #689159  by Jayjay1213

NV290 wrote:Yes, i can take out certain sections and i have, but that is not the issue. Once again, the issue is the physical thickness of the binder itself, NOT what is inside it. The rings are designed to accomodate way more then i need to carry. So just like they make 3 ring binders in many thickness, i am looking to see if a website or store carries these 7 ring binders in different thicknesses.
I agree the 7 rings is unique. So why not just ditch the binder? If you are not running on the territory much, take everything, put it in a rubber band and into a folder or accordian folder thing. Might not be neat, but it will help free up some space.
 #689193  by Erie-Lackawanna

I think this discussion has run its course. Question asked, a couple of possible solutions offered, there's nothing else to say. If there needs to be a discussion about how many different rulebooks someone has to carry, where they work and how often, and what format a particular road's rulebook/timetables are in, then someone should start a new thread.

Do the moderators agree?

Jim
 #689239  by Noel Weaver

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:I think this discussion has run its course. Question asked, a couple of possible solutions offered, there's nothing else to say. If there needs to be a discussion about how many different rulebooks someone has to carry, where they work and how often, and what format a particular road's rulebook/timetables are in, then someone should start a new thread.

Do the moderators agree?

Jim
I agree, Worcester is a long way from Metro-North territory especially for somebody working for CSX.
I think this is just a rant and has little to do with Metro-North anyway.
Noel Weaver
 #689432  by RearOfSignal

Noel Weaver wrote:
Erie-Lackawanna wrote:I think this discussion has run its course. Question asked, a couple of possible solutions offered, there's nothing else to say. If there needs to be a discussion about how many different rulebooks someone has to carry, where they work and how often, and what format a particular road's rulebook/timetables are in, then someone should start a new thread.

Do the moderators agree?

Jim
I agree, Worcester is a long way from Metro-North territory especially for somebody working for CSX.
I think this is just a rant and has little to do with Metro-North anyway.
Noel Weaver
You were the one that started it. The OP was only explaining why this is pertinent to MNR even though he is not an employee. Who cares who/where he works if the post was on topic? If you don't have anything to add to a topic don't post in it and do carp that it's off-topic. If you believe it's off-topic just keep you thoughts to yourself. If you don't want to read the thread because you don't like the subject matter, don't open it. Do not complain that a thread is off-topic if you haven't contributed anything to the thread. That goes out to everyone! Ah, you can quote me on that!!!!!!

Even if you could find a smaller binder, I think replacing the pages would be a pain, especially if you keep all the pages together. Let us know how it goes. Maybe you'll start a trend.
 #689468  by scotty269

Wow, I'm really surprised at you, Noel. I've been around the forums for awhile and I have never seen an outburst like that from you... Take a step back and figure out what the guy is trying to accomplish by making the topic, don't just start "yelling" at him because he asked a question about carrying his rules...

Anyways, about the binder... Why is it a seven ring binder? Do the pages all share a punched hole in common? Or three? Why doesn't a standard binder work?
 #689484  by Noel Weaver

[quote="scotty269"]Wow, I'm really surprised at you, Noel. I've been around the forums for awhile and I have never seen an outburst like that from you... Take a step back and figure out what the guy is trying to accomplish by making the topic, don't just start "yelling" at him because he asked a question about carrying his rules...

quote]

Too bad, what I am seeing in my opinion are the remarks of a couple of "cry babies" on here. Railroading has never been a
piece of cake and it has never been easy. I worked on different railroads too and had to carry different rulebooks and
employee timetables and in my spare board days I never knew when a job to GCT might end up in Penn Station or vice
versa. I carried them all. We also had many different varieties of motive power and equipment and the engineer had
better know what to do when the bell rings. This applied to the fireman too and even in my days as a fireman, I carried
a bunch of operating manuals so that if I got stumped on something, maybe I could get some help. I wasn't afraid to get
dirty on the job either, it goes with the territory. I never complained about the stuff I had to carry, it helped me to do my
job and that was what I was getting paid to do.
I have said many times on many different forums that the railroads of this country should get together and have one book
of rules for the entire industry. We thought we might see that when Penn Central came on the scene, they made one book
for the former New York Central, Pennsylvania and the New Haven and when Conrail came on the scene it was expanded
to a lot of other properties too.
I think your complaints should be to the industry itself for not having one set of rules like they do in Canada and if the
railroads are not willing to do this, maybe the FRA should do it for them.
Until and unless this happens, you should simply do the job that you are being paid to do and if carrying all of the
necessary gear is too much for you, just stop trying to work all over the place.
Reading some of this stuff is like it often was when I went to union meetings and I went to many of them during my
career, a room full of people making good money and sitting around complaining.
Metro-North makes timetable changes you get a new folder or folders, with Penn Central and before that the Pennsylvania
made timetable changes we used to have to lick and stick the new stuff in the timetable and sometimes it could take a
long time to get the job done and we had to do it on our own time for the most part too.
Finally this entry has a number of spelling errors, I am having a problem with my computer and if and when I can correct
it, I will try to correct the errors in this entry, sorry about that.
Noel Weaver
 #689516  by BR&P

Man, EVERYBODY is getting their panties in a wad - moderators don't want any discussion held if it's for something that can't be changed, others turning a legitimate question into an appeal for pity, and so on. Hey - it's a FORUM!!!! Within the boundaries of decency and being SOMEWHAT on topic, who cares if it can be changed or not, or if someone IS asking for pity? That's what a forum is about.

I had a problem once when trying to get the CGOR reduced from 8 1/2 x 11 down to 5 1/2 x 8 1/2. Took it to Kinkos and the girl saw the "copyright" on the first page and refused to do the job. I had to remove that page and take it to a different copy center.

Mention above of the NS binder is right on. It's about as thick as a NY City phone book. Takes up way too much room in the grip and I only operate over a very small part of their line.
 #689712  by Cornductor

Due to my bad back I discarded the binder cover completely and just carry the pages in a giant rubber band. The dog earred pages make it look like I'm constantly studying it :-D It's a nice conversation starter at Book of Rules class.