Railroad Forums 

• Understanding Signals

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#686880  by Trainman101

On the NEC here in the northeast there is a triple track main line that turns into double track. My question is why are there 3 signals for each track? ( there are 3 right on top of each other) I only see the top signal turning colors RED, Green, Yellow. What are the other 2 signals for(seems like there always red) and why are the neccesry? Same question, why do some lines have only have 2 signals on top of each other and what is the bottom signal for(seems like its always red)?

Thanks!
 #687144  by ExCon90

Every signal has to communicate two things: what to do now, and what to do as you approach the next signal. Considering that under the NORAC (Northeast Operating Rules Advisory Committee) rules in effect on the NEC there are four operating speeds provided for by signal indication (Maximum Authorized Speed, Limited Speed (45 mph passenger, 40 mph freight), Medium Speed (30 mph), and Slow Speed (15 mph), plus Restricted Speed (prepared to stop within 1/2 the distance you can see ahead of you, not exceeding 15 mph), the permutations of proceed at x speed approaching next signal at y speed necessitate multiple signal units, since experience has shown that only red, yellow, and green can be seen and distinguished far enough away to be reliable. Flashing aspects are also used to expand the possibilities, but even two signal heads are not enough to express all the indications which may be needed at a given location. Traditionally, the a color better than red on the top unit indicated maximum authorized speed through an interlocking, the middle unit medium speed, and the bottom unit slow speed (with yellow meaning restricted speed, leading to the use of flashing yellow for Slow-Approach, when logic would dictate steady yellow). Signals with three heads are normally found only where the specific location requires display of an aspect needing three units, such as Slow-Clear (red over red over green). By the way, most of the signals on the NEC are position or color-position light (these only have two units, since having 4 positions instead of 3 colors gives them more scope) -- where are the 3-unit signals you mentioned?
 #687296  by roadster

Nice site Bob, so much easier than describing each signal aspect and it's indication. I really like the actual flashing lights compared to the little black lines indicating a flashing light on our rule books. Trainman 101, this is exactly what you are asking for. A-1 great Job Bob.
 #687373  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Great site,interesting that it is under SVRM header. I had to learn these on the RR,this makes it much easier than having to go out and see all those from the cab. note color position lights,we had these from zoo to frankford jct, to name a few.
 #687736  by FarmallBob

roadster wrote: I really like the actual flashing lights compared to the little black lines indicating a flashing light on our rule books.
Me too roadster.

Too bad those flashing aspects don't "flash" on a hardcopy of that page(!)

...FB
 #687767  by roadster

You need to invent the nano tech. Bob, that's your new goal. Imagine the $$$$ for such an invention, eh? Nano impregnated paper for a moving image on a piece of paper!!
 #688056  by FarmallBob

roadster wrote:You need to invent the nano tech. Bob, that's your new goal.
Hey Roadster - Soon as I get the bugs worked out of the solar powered train and the hydrogen-fueled locomotive (posts in the "locomotives and rolling stock" forum this spring) I'll be right on it(!)

...FB
 #688109  by roadster

You need to design a engine which runs on B.S., we railroaders would never let them run low. no more energy crisis/ or global warming.
 #688372  by FarmallBob

roadster wrote:You need to design a engine which runs on B.S. We railroaders would never let them run low....
Railroaders aside, with what's being accomplished by our elected representatives in Albany (or more accurately what's NOT being accomplished...) NY State is now easily the "OPEC of BS".

They will NEVER run out(!)