Railroad Forums 

• What does "plates" on freight cars mean?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#679108  by ex Budd man

'Plate C' refers to a drawing or 'plate' which gives clearance dimemsions for equipment. If a car has 'plate -C' designation it means it is able to clear obstructions that fall outside of the listed dimensions. Conversly anything within these dimensions will foul the equipment. Tunnels, bridges, loading docks, all come to mind.
 #715277  by Engineer Spike

I was the conductor on a local job one time. We were switching a mill, and the tracks were very close together. I was shoving a cut of cars past some on the next track. The first car made it by, but the next car caught the ladder. The result was a big investigation. The hearing officer asked me i I had considered that the cars might have been different sizes. I replied that both were plate C cars, sot they should be the same size. I still got points, but that is almost automatic. I did however win the appeal!
 #716241  by ex Budd man

Is it possible the car was past the fouling point? It may have been too close to the switch, or the car might have been a "leaner". As is often said "excrement occures"! :wink: