Railroad Forums 

• Ringling Brothers "Red Unit" Questions

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#646559  by realtype

hi55us wrote: LIRR has some Dual Mode diesels (they don't have that many) but I believe that they are semi-permanently coupled to the LIRR Bi-Level cars.
Sounds like the most sensible solution to me. Why are the LIRR DE30's semi-permanently coupled to the Kawasaki bi-levels?
 #646560  by Tadman

I've never heard of LIRR semi-permanently coupling their DE/DM fleet to bilevels. There's nothing on the wiki page about it either.
 #646640  by Ocala Mike

I'm not up on my diesel locomotive nomenclature, but the LIRR also has diesel "yard switcher" type motive power that they use (multipled as necessary) to haul the circus train. They don't use their passenger units. One of these type units was involved in a tractor-trailer accident last week in LIC.
 #646663  by realtype

Ocala Mike wrote:I'm not up on my diesel locomotive nomenclature, but the LIRR also has diesel "yard switcher" type motive power that they use (multipled as necessary) to haul the circus train. They don't use their passenger units. One of these type units was involved in a tractor-trailer accident last week in LIC.
Yeah, but how do they get the train through the Hudson and East River Tunnels, and Penn Station? Or do they go around and cross the bridge onto LI from the North?
 #646713  by chuchubob

realtype wrote:
Ocala Mike wrote:I'm not up on my diesel locomotive nomenclature, but the LIRR also has diesel "yard switcher" type motive power that they use (multipled as necessary) to haul the circus train. They don't use their passenger units. One of these type units was involved in a tractor-trailer accident last week in LIC.
Yeah, but how do they get the train through the Hudson and East River Tunnels, and Penn Station? Or do they go around and cross the bridge onto LI from the North?
Amtrak takes the train through the East River and North River tunnels and Penn Station. Amtrak motors are put on and taken off at Harold and Lane.
 #646715  by crash575

When the circus train comes to Boston they park it on the CSX's Grand Junction Branch and march the Elephants down Memorial Drive to the TD Banknorth Garden. It's always a media spectacle.