Railroad Forums 

• Railfans distracting engineers

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#656230  by scharnhorst

thats a little extreme don't ya think?
Adriel wrote:I usually carry a few of these to "serve up" to those who like to bug me.

#659800  by Plate F

scharnhorst wrote:thats a little extreme don't ya think?
Adriel wrote:I usually carry a few of these to "serve up" to those who like to bug me.

Ahh don't worry. I usually dilute it.
 #659811  by BR&P

You might want to keep a small bottle of full-strength for those hard-core cases! :wink:

And how does it work, like weed spray where you have to apply it every year? I can see it now - a contractor with a big hirail truck, closely following behind a special consist of odd motive power which brings the fans trackside, and the truck dispenses the Anti-foam in a fine mist over the assembled buffs. Over the next few days, the railfan urge slowly droops and dies off, leaving them reclining on the couch watching wrestling and hollering at the wife for another beer! :-D
 #660046  by Plate F

You do it on a hot day, and have one of those misting fans. Except you just swap out the water for this stuff. At least, that's one way to take care of it.
 #660119  by scharnhorst

BR&P wrote:You might want to keep a small bottle of full-strength for those hard-core cases! :wink:

And how does it work, like weed spray where you have to apply it every year? I can see it now - a contractor with a big hirail truck, closely following behind a special consist of odd motive power which brings the fans trackside, and the truck dispenses the Anti-foam in a fine mist over the assembled buffs. Over the next few days, the railfan urge slowly droops and dies off, leaving them reclining on the couch watching wrestling and hollering at the wife for another beer! :-D
hehe now thats funny!
 #660133  by trainwayne1

As an ex-operating employee who is still in touch with many active train crew members, I'd just like to say that right now, with business being down on the railroads, the companies are furloughing a lot of employees, including lower management such as trainmasters and road foremen. The people at this level are trying to keep their jobs by showing how well they do them. Part of their jobs is safety, and they are going out of their way to observe train crews and record safety violations which can result in people getting time off and marks against their records, and in some cases dismissal from their jobs. The LAST thing train crews need are distractions from doing what they get paid to do....move trains in a safe manner. Railfanning is fine, but anything that might distract a crew from doing their jobs in the proper way is totally out of bounds. Just use common sense, and don't do anything to make the crews job harder than it already is. Let them do the railroading.
 #660198  by roadster

Well said, I might also add that any time a person not employeed by the RR or a ticketed passenger, enters upon RR property, at the least they represent a civil liability to the RR company, should some unexpected/unknown occurance/incident happen.
 #660899  by 10more years

We've got a "rail fan" at one of our away from home terminals who has ready access to our facilities. It's really amazing to me with all the Homeland Security issues and railroad security concerns that the local management "lets" him hang around. The story goes that the Division Manager wanted to run him off but Amtrak "overruled"him. Somehow, that seems fishy. But, the guy knows more about our operations than we do, and by we, I mean local management as well as the operating crews. All the locals, even management, ask this railfan about train operations. He uses the computers, inspects trains, has a CSX radio (actually uses it), gives job briefings to crews abut train lineups and work.

Amazing!

It's a little eerie when a railfan knows you by name and knows as much about your work history as you do!
 #660908  by scharnhorst

10more years wrote:We've got a "rail fan" at one of our away from home terminals who has ready access to our facilities. It's really amazing to me with all the Homeland Security issues and railroad security concerns that the local management "lets" him hang around. The story goes that the Division Manager wanted to run him off but Amtrak "overruled"him. Somehow, that seems fishy. But, the guy knows more about our operations than we do, and by we, I mean local management as well as the operating crews. All the locals, even management, ask this railfan about train operations. He uses the computers, inspects trains, has a CSX radio (actually uses it), gives job briefings to crews abut train lineups and work.

Amazing!

It's a little eerie when a railfan knows you by name and knows as much about your work history as you do!
I think it would be time to tip off the FBI on this one.
 #660944  by toolmaker

perhaps he is FBI or TSA working undercover.
 #660959  by roadster

probably a relative of a manager, Amtrak or otherwise. I know of some local mangement that has befriended some fans. Hangs out with them with his kids, brings pizza to the fan spots. Uses them and their photos for disciplinary charges against crews.
 #660975  by trainwayne1

I would be HIGHLY suspicious for several reasons.....and, request security clearance IN WRITING from the Amtrak Police person in charge of the area. There is just something not right about that situation. If this person was ever injured on the property do you think that managment would ever take resposibility for his being there? They would hang someone out to dry in a minute.....CYA!
 #661135  by Aji-tater

He uses the computers, inspects trains, has a CSX radio (actually uses it), gives job briefings to crews abut train lineups and work.
First, the union should have a BIG problem with that. What if Joe Fan makes some mistake and somebody gets killed? I'd think the brotherhood would make a royal stink.

Second, drop a dime to as many people in CSX and Amtrak as you can, as high up as you can.

Third, the suggestion about FBI might not be as far out as you may think. Who knows who this moron is? I'd say let them know, and add that you're concerned because the railroad hauls tank cars full of various hazardous materials.

The more various places you make this known all at once, the better chance of stopping it. Document everything you can - get tape recordings of the guy using the radio, maybe get cell photos or video of him on the property. The whole situation is total BS and very unsafe.