Railroad Forums 

• What is "three-step protection?"

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#582687  by harleyfiremedic

While listening to the scanner while fanning, I hear the phrase "three step". Now I know this is when the conductor is coupling/uncoupling cars in the yard, but what does it really mean?

Thanks all
 #582729  by DutchRailnut

step one= Brakes set
step two = reverser centered
step three = Generator field off.

all will prevent movement of train, so a person can go under or betweeen cars.
 #583007  by scooterz66

And it's not just in the yard. Anytime that the plane of the train is broken, closing angle cocks, hanging an eot, setting or releasing hand brakes, the conductor MUST get 3 step. And the engineer can't release 3 step until the conductor tells him to and that he is in the clear.
 #583014  by GOLDEN-ARM

If he was listening to Amtrak, the steps would look like this:
Step one: brakes applied, movement fully stopped
Step two: reverser centered (possibly removed)
Step three: HEP shut down, verified on IFD/control panel

The gen field doesn't apply on Amtrak........ :wink:
 #584304  by DutchRailnut

Generator field is control switch for propulsion circuit, with it down the train cant move, if brakes are also set.
The HEP is shut down so person who has to go between cars would not get blasted by a chaffed cable carrying 480 volt AC.
 #592170  by scooterz66

gp9rm4108 wrote:3 step protection is something that CN does not have and I find to be overkill.
Till your engineer starts moving the train with you between the cars.
 #592579  by DutchRailnut

please note that north of the Canuck border the FRA rules no longer apply.
 #592896  by Rockin' Roller

gp9rm4108 wrote:CN doesn't even have set and centred. Cndr just says that'll do I'm cuttin' em in.
It must be a Canadian thing, because down here you tell the engineer you need to go between and they tell you set and centered.
 #592909  by lbshelby

It depends on what railroad you are on and what rulebook they use, as well as what their safety personnel dictate.

All US railroads *must* comply with SOFA rules, which includes verifying that the reverser is centered and the brakes are set before any person goes in between cars. The methods vary. Some roads allow a visual acknowledgement of a hand sign, some allow an acknowledgement of a hand or lantern sign with a whistle signal. Others require a verbal interchange over the radio. The method varies, the meanings and purposes are the same.

"Three step protection" is one of a number of ways to do it. UP uses "Red Zone". Other carriers still use "in-between" responded to with "set and centered". I do agree that "three step" is overkill, as some places were teaching it as "conductor requesting three step protection" with a response of "three step protection is applied". I swear some of the younger managers/trainers just don't understand what "radio overload" is. Yet.
Last edited by lbshelby on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.