Railroad Forums 

• Trackside Restaurants (was:Restaurants by the tracks)

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#535238  by B&Mguy

My favorite restaurant along the rails is the Beverly Depot Saloon in Beverly, MA. It has great pub food, as well as a nice restaurant in the basement. It's pretty much all commuter rail trains, but the station itself is restored very nicely, and really makes you feel like you could be waiting for a train back in the B&M era.

Although this one is not on a rail line, it's in a restored station and I thought it was worthy of a mention. The Woodstock Station which is in North Woodstock, NH has great food and many railroad artifacts on display. The building itself is the former Lincoln Depot from up the road. They also brew their own beer on site which is really cool too. Check it out if you're in the area!
 #553592  by habu

I don't recall the restaurants name, but it is located on the east side of Flagstaff,Arizona with full view of the BNSF mainline. Nothing fancy, just your basic waffle burger place and they even had a overhead O gauge model rr that went around the entire eating area.
 #553744  by atsf sp

The Sports Depot in Allston, MA is a great spot for CSX fans. It is located in an old New Haven depot. The Boston Line to Worcester runs right next to this building. The tables, if you ask for next to the tracks, are five feet from the tracks. CSX with ES44DCs, AC6000CWs, SD70MACs are regular visitors. Switching operations operate daily with GP40-2s. MBTA's worcester line runs past there at around 40mph, and the ocasional AMTRAK Lake Shore Limited can be spotted. The food isn't bad either!
 #557651  by bigkidtrainz31

Hi all,
Wow, these spots all around the country sound great.
Although my spot pales in comparison, I figured I'd have to
mention Trackside Restaurant & Pizza in East Rutherford,
New Jersey.
NJ Transit's Bergen County Line (also shared with
Norfolk Southern) are visible nearly every window on the
westside of the place. NJT runs all day, but NS runs
only about 3 minimal length trains, per day.
A.M - NS H82, evening P.M. - NS HO7, late night NS H80.
Once in a while, I catch the evening's NS H-O7 while
enjoying some good pizza & good food. Nice place,
friendly owner. Shout outs to Frank at Trackside ! lol...
Peace,
 #591031  by Finch

How about the pizza place right at the Amtrak/Shore Line East station in Old Saybrook, CT. I forget the actual name of the restaurant, and I never actually ate there when I was in CT this past summer. But it's a sweet spot. Obviously there is plenty of Amtrak and Shore Line East action, and the P&W interchanges there as well.

Another spot: the UNH Dairy Bar in Durham, NH. Recently renovated to improve its restaurant AND train station facilities, it sits right on Guilford/Pan Am's main line. 10 Downeasters pass each day (about 8 of them during daylight hours), plus a handful of Guilford freights. The food is light, mostly sandwiches/soups/salads, and it's all local or organic. There's also ice cream of course!
 #591061  by atsf sp

Finch wrote:How about the pizza place right at the Amtrak/Shore Line East station in Old Saybrook, CT. I forget the actual name of the restaurant, and I never actually ate there when I was in CT this past summer. But it's a sweet spot. Obviously there is plenty of Amtrak and Shore Line East action, and the P&W interchanges there as well.
I agree that its a great place. Acela at 100+, AEM7, HHP8, CDOT McGiness colors, and P&W. You have to love it. And good pizza to. :-D

Re:

#591101  by railohio

Rockingham Racer wrote:... and in Berea, OH, the name I don't remember.
The Berea location has moved away from the tracks down to Medina, Ohio on account of serious road construction in its old neighborhood. On the bright side, there will soon be an overpass in Berea to photograph from...
 #593836  by CarterB

Niko's Steak & Seafood, 216 South Broad Street Griffith, IN 46319 (if it's still there)
Right at the major crossing of the EJ&E, GTW, and NS, and great food!!
 #593888  by WSH

Well you can't beat the Bull Pen in Cliffton Forge.

And in Charleston Lauries Restaurant is a 5 star place located in the old C&O Depot that is connected to the current AMTRAK station.
 #593988  by pennsy

Think I got you all beat. Just outside of Los Angeles Union Station, LAUS, within walking distance, the world famous Phillpes. This is a must go to if you are ever in LAUS. It is a tradition, and even has classic model trains displayed on the walls. The walls also have photos of UP, SP, and SF trains.
 #594086  by TB Diamond

The Zephyr Cafe, right across the street from the old CB&Q passenger station in Holdrege, NE. Named, of course, for the long departed CB&Q California Zephyr.
 #607629  by B&Mguy

The Depot in Palmer, MA is also a great place to watch trains. CSX, Amtrak and NECR all go past this station, and fairly frequently too. They recently added outside seating for the warmer months too, which adds to the experience.