Railroad Forums 

• Spotlog

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1488319  by Lensmeister

Hi all,

As you are aware I am from the UK and over here we have a FREE android App (and now on iPhone) called SPOTLOG with which you can log your sightings of locomotive and rolling stock.

We have many European countries listed and I wondered if anyone from here would be interested in helping us out with the American and Canadian Traction and rolling stock numbers?

If you are interested in contributing to this free community project then please let me know as a reply to this and I can explain a bit more in detail.

Thanks in advance,

Neil.
 #1504349  by Engineer Spike

Logging locomotives sounds interesting. I’ve been to the UK multiple times and have seen the spotters. Passenger stock might be interesting to log. A cousin is an Amtrak ticket agent. There was a spotter who used to call him to look in the computer to see which equipment had been in such and such consist.

Freight would be harder. We still have many single car movements, while Britain has mostly unit trains, where the spotters keep track of which cars are run in each train set.
 #1504364  by Lensmeister

Engineer Spike wrote:Logging locomotives sounds interesting. I’ve been to the UK multiple times and have seen the spotters. Passenger stock might be interesting to log. A cousin is an Amtrak ticket agent. There was a spotter who used to call him to look in the computer to see which equipment had been in such and such consist.

Freight would be harder. We still have many single car movements, while Britain has mostly unit trains, where the spotters keep track of which cars are run in each train set.
Hi,

Yes the UK do have a lot of "Spotters" it's not as popular as it once was.
 #1504387  by ExCon90

Oh yes, long ago when standing on the ends of platforms in the rain got to be too much for me ...