Railroad Forums 

• 3 letter station codes

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1397530  by Winkopp

I have tried search this forum with no luck. Does anyone have a complete list of all the station codes for the US and Canada? I have had some success finding portions of a list on wiki. Do freight operators use a three letter destination code? Is there a uniform code system like airports use?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Amtrak_stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for any help.
 #1397766  by rovetherr

Each railroad uses their own station codes. And not all RR's use three letters, some use two letters, some use names spelled out. The only nationwide systems I know of are (1) the Rule 260 Junction Codes, which are the five digit Alpha codes assigned to junction points between RR's which are used when creating the routing for waybills. And (2) the Amtrak station codes, but they obviously don't cover anywhere near the entirety of stations in the US.

There are numeric codes that do cover the entire country, the Standard Point Location Code (SPLC) and the Freight Station Accounting Code (FSAC). These codes are generated by various industry groups and used across different modes of transportation. For the most part, they are the proprietary info of the groups that create them, and are treated as such. IE, you gotta pay if you want to access them.
 #1398803  by STrRedWolf

The Amtrak codes also cover some non-Amtrak stations. I know they have codes for Seabrook (SBK), Bowie State (BWE), Odenton (ODN), Halethorpe (HLE), Martin State Airport (MSA), and Perryville (PVL) in Maryland (MTA Maryland MARC Penn Line), as they're along the NEC. I won't be surprised if they have codes for SEPTA, NJ Transit, NY MTA Metro-North, Shore Line Express, and MBTA stations.

Sometimes (during idle time at work when I was at MTA Maryland) I would draft up some 4 letter codes for the Brunswick line and Camden Line stations. I wonder if I still have them around...