Railroad Forums 

• Horn blasts

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1370600  by Baxterdog

I live near a crossing and am used to hearing the Long, long, short, long series of horn blasts. Recently, I noticed the conductor just layed on the horn with one consecutive long blast. Could this have been to warn someone on the track? I thought an emergency warning was a series of short blasts? Any idea why the long consecutive blast?
 #1370693  by DutchRailnut

first it was Engineer blowing horn, second most likely a person or car was fouling crossing.
 #1370713  by Baxterdog

Sorry, so the ENGINEER controls the horn. Okay, now I know. Still, what about the long continuous blast v. series of short ones for an emergency? I'm fascinated by the code of what these sounds mean.
 #1370714  by DutchRailnut

series of short blast is usually used for person or animals near right of way.
a long continuous blast , means I am about to obliterate whatever is in way.
 #1370730  by DutchRailnut

listed in rules like Norac or GCOR under whistle signals.
 #1370747  by amtrakhogger

One long and loud to blow out the eardrums of that punk kid playing chicken with me.
 #1568035  by Tela1416

One consecutive long blast, I thought, was to signal station departure.
 #1568382  by ExCon90

In New Jersey one long blast is required by state law when approaching a station (the result of spectators awaiting passage of the Robert Kennedy funeral train getting in the way of scheduled trains, resulting in some deaths). Two shorts from a standing train indicate an imminent forward movement, as does sounding the bell.