Railroad Forums 

• What Is the Signal Progression to Restricting?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1368264  by MoPac

Sort of an odd question, but one I've been wondering. For a train running happily along, what signals would they encounter leading to a restricting? I would think it would be the same as approaching a stop signal, but I'm not a railroader. And my understanding is restricting would be shown to a train entering a yard or other unsignaled track from signaled territory, yes?

Any help would be much appreciated!
 #1368271  by DutchRailnut

you are correct , signal progression to restricting is same as getting up to a red.

a restricted would be shown going into non signaled track or occupied track.
 #1368282  by MattW

There are some railroads that have and/or still use Approach Restricting. The most common aspect being yellow over lunar, but from what I can tell, it's very rare, and mostly a western thing, not really something you see on the eastern roads.
 #1368284  by DutchRailnut

Approach restricting is signal used when coming out of MBS and into CTC, the signal does not convey track information. some but not all can show Approach Normal.
 #1368296  by Rockingham Racer

MattW wrote:There are some railroads that have and/or still use Approach Restricting. The most common aspect being yellow over lunar, but from what I can tell, it's very rare, and mostly a western thing, not really something you see on the eastern roads.
I've heard Amtrak engineers call out approach restricting in Tacoma, WA on the BNSF on the approach to the station stop. Agree that this aspect is mostly a western thing.

For Norac rules, to which Dutch referred, here's the explanation of a restricting signal:

Proceed prepared to stop at the next signal. Trains exceeding Medium Speed must begin reduction to Medium Speed as soon as the engine passes the Approach Restricting signal.
NOTE: Does not convey block or track information
 #1368325  by MoPac

Thank you everyone, that answers that succinctly.

The Approach Restricting is interesting. Looking at my signal charts, Approach Clear and Approach Restricting both have A plates on them. Is this something only found outside of CTC/ABS typically? In my travels, I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean much.
 #1368543  by Engineer Spike

Approach Restricting is often used in places where a train can't get an Approach, then sneak up to see whether the next signal is Stop, or Restricting. On Burlington we had it in a spot coming into a yard. There were crossings between the last block and the absolute signal.

Where I work now, we used to use NORAC. There is one location where Approach Restricting would be useful. It seems like even though we're no longer under NORAC's ridged list of possible signal indications, the management is unwilling to invent new indications to solve this problem. There are two yards with crossings before them.