Railroad Forums 

• PRR S1 at the '39-'40 NYWF

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1314648  by Rick Abramson

The Pennsy's S1 6100 traveled over the New Haven from Maybrook-Derby Jct-Devon-Harold via the Hell Gate Bridge. Does anyone know how the engine got to Maybrook, then Harold to the fair? There were some tight curves on the NH such as the south wye at Derby Jct and the west leg of the wye at Devon. I'm wondering if the outer pair of drivers were jacked-up. There are some locations with low wire as in S. Norwalk. I'm also curious as to what the NH used for motive power with this move.
 #1314727  by Backshophoss

Possible interchange at Easton Pa to the L&HR,interchaged to NH at Maybrook,
may have gone east/south on the Danbury branch to S Norwalk,then east to Harold.
On LIRR Harold to Willets Point(aka Worlds Fair Station)on the Port Washington Branch,at Whitestone Jct delivered to
"Worlds Fair" (aka Corona)yard.
 #1314933  by Rick Abramson

I doubt it went down the Danbury Branch. The loop track in Danbury is pretty tight and the tunnel in Norwalk may have been too low. At this time, there was still catenary which would have reduced the vertical clearance. The move to Harold would be west, not east.