Railroad Forums 

• The good and the not so great

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

Re:

#688336  by sd80mac

UPRR engineer wrote:I think hi-railing at 50 would be a speed story there buddy, id be more scared doing that then what i did.

Isn't max speed at 20 mph for hi-railing vehicles? I read that somewhere but I cant recall... CR TT I think.

Re:

#688338  by sd80mac

UPRR engineer wrote:Mine as well confess my light power story also, (K train ones at the bottom of page 4) same kinda deal, different crew. Racing out of town to go get some soda ash cars. On our way up to 70mph the speedometer dropped to zero at 60. Ramped her back up to the 8th run, wasnt long before we hit an advanced approach, caught up to someone. Before that tho the motor (Big GE AC type) started buzzing at me, i didnt go any faster at that point. When the brakemen came up on the headend he was smiling and said "Boy we were really getting after it there." He said his motor started buzzing at him at 86mph so i guess that how fast i was going.

Doubt i'll ever do those two things again, as far as the broken speedometer, just aint worth it.

Thats why i was asking you those questions there slchub. See if your faster then me.
I'm not picking on you about the rules, but asking you Q. But someone said that it is normally practice to do the timing between 2 mileposts once a while to ensure that the speedometer is correct. Is that practice still being done today?
 #688505  by Jtgshu

on my RR (a commuter), there are specific measured miles that are used just for the reason of checking speedo accuracy. However, most of them tend to be in locations where you are coming in to or leaving a station.....hahaha go figure
 #688760  by scooterz66

sd80mac wrote:
UPRR engineer wrote:Mine as well confess my light power story also, (K train ones at the bottom of page 4) same kinda deal, different crew. Racing out of town to go get some soda ash cars. On our way up to 70mph the speedometer dropped to zero at 60. Ramped her back up to the 8th run, wasnt long before we hit an advanced approach, caught up to someone. Before that tho the motor (Big GE AC type) started buzzing at me, i didnt go any faster at that point. When the brakemen came up on the headend he was smiling and said "Boy we were really getting after it there." He said his motor started buzzing at him at 86mph so i guess that how fast i was going.

Doubt i'll ever do those two things again, as far as the broken speedometer, just aint worth it.

Thats why i was asking you those questions there slchub. See if your faster then me.
I'm not picking on you about the rules, but asking you Q. But someone said that it is normally practice to do the timing between 2 mileposts once a while to ensure that the speedometer is correct. Is that practice still being done today?
Yeah, it is standard practice still. If you pass by a measured mile and you're still speeding (i.e. you didn't check to make sure your speedo was right) it's your a** and you can bet they'll try to stick you with it.
 #688793  by BR&P

Re UPRR's 86 mph ride, according to the regs if your speedometer is inoperative you're limited to 20 mph. Oh, well, he wasn't TOO far over! :-D