Railroad Forums 

• Costs, logistics, etc. of smoothing track

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1069130  by SouthernRailway

After yet another rough, rocky ride (this time on Metro-North, in a 1970s-era EMU set, between New Rochelle and 125th Street), I'm curious:

1. What does it take to make track smooth-particularly silky-smooth like Norfolk Southern on the Washington-Greensboro-Charlotte-Greenville-Atlanta line? Do the ties have to be re-set in place? Does more gravel need to be added? Do the rails need to be smoothed out or replaced? In general, what's the process?

2. How much does it cost to smooth out track?

Just curious, thanks.
 #1070254  by mtuandrew

SouthernRailway wrote:After yet another rough, rocky ride (this time on Metro-North, in a 1970s-era EMU set, between New Rochelle and 125th Street), I'm curious:

1. What does it take to make track smooth-particularly silky-smooth like Norfolk Southern on the Washington-Greensboro-Charlotte-Greenville-Atlanta line? Do the ties have to be re-set in place? Does more gravel need to be added? Do the rails need to be smoothed out or replaced? In general, what's the process?
I'm surprised that you had such a silky-smooth ride on the Crescent - last time I rode that line (admittedly some 5 years ago) it was somewhat rough.

Otherwise, yes, all of the above. NS and all of the other majors will ideally have track gangs out regularly to fix noted defects, including but not limited to slumping subballast and potential washouts, dips in the ballast, noted sumping (mud being drawn up by unsupported ties), rotten and broken ties, bad tie plates and pads, and broken clips and pulled-out spikes. Some of the Class 1 railroads also have rail-grinding and rail inspection crews - most others leave magnaflux detection of internal rail flaws to a company like Sperry Rail Services, and profile-grinding of the rail head to a company such as Loram Maintenance of Way.
SouthernRailway wrote:2. How much does it cost to smooth out track?

Just curious, thanks.
That I can't answer for certain, but I would be surprised if it were under $10,000 per mile.